Silverudd x Buff Orpington Cross?

vmcdonald

In the Brooder
Feb 26, 2024
Hi all! I’m wondering if anyone has crossed a Silverudd with a Buff Orpington. I have a Silverudd roo and a couple Buff Orpingtons and wonder what colour eggs their offspring would produce. I assume light green? Would you consider that resulting chick an Olive Egger?

What about Silverudd x Ameraucana? I have lots of red brown Ameraucana girls as well. I assume their resulting chicks would lay blue-green eggs, and would be considered Easter Eggers?

Either would be easter eggers, and the orp x silver rudd would be green or brown and the Ameracauna x rudd would be blue or green.
What makes something an olive egger rather than an easter egger? That distinction is not super clear to me. The reading I've done suggests an olive egger is a blue layer + (dark?) brown layer. I think the lines between these two (OE and EE) are pretty blurry, correct?

What makes something an olive egger rather than an easter egger? That distinction is not super clear to me. The reading I've done suggests an olive egger is a blue layer + (dark?) brown layer. I think the lines between these two (OE and EE) are pretty blurry, correct?
Olive eggers are a subcategory of Easter egger. Any mixed breed bird that has the potential to lay 'colored' eggs is an Easter egger. A medium to dark brown layer x blue/green is usually considered an olive egger.

Back
Top Bottom