Barred Rock

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by parker, Jun 19, 2010.

1. parker

parker New Egg

Jun 19, 2010
    Martensville, Saskatchewan
    I am a new member, and just joined a few minutes ago. It looks like a great site.[​IMG]
    I have a question about the Barred rock breed that I have. I purchased 10 chicks,
    and was told that the dark are female and light are male. I am wondering if this is correct.
    Thank you.
    Mary.

2. Tiss

Tiss Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2010
    Georgia
    Yes, female BR chicks are usually black with a distinct white spot on their heads. The boys are more gray and black mixed.

3. Duchessk75

Duchessk75 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 25, 2010
    1.9 Acres Ohio
    Barred Rocks are a good breed to start out with. In April, I got my first flock of 26 1 day old Barred Rocks. So congrats, and [​IMG]

The first sign for me that I had a few roos was that the combs started getting bigger, and red fast. To me, they all looked the same color [​IMG]

As they got older, the roo's were lighter than the girls. The roo's have more white in their pattern, and the girls have more black.

Good luck!!

4. parker

parker New Egg

Jun 19, 2010
    Martensville, Saskatchewan
    Thanks so much for the response.[​IMG] That answers my question.
    Also thanks for the warm welcome.[​IMG] It is truly an informative site, especially with all you experts on here.
    I have also hatched off some Cohin Bantams, Mille Fleur Bantams, BO's and Ameraucana's.
    I will post pics a soon as I can.[​IMG]
    Thanks again.
    Mary.

5. PiedPiper

PiedPiper Out Of The Brooder

Jul 31, 2009
    Arlington, WA
    I hope you enjoy your "rocks" as much as I do....I have 7 in my 8-hen/1-roo flock and LOVE them! Excellent egg layers...very predictable and a very docile personality. The 4 I raised from chicks are the ones I can walk right up to and pick up....I simply love them! I also have had buff orphingtons in the past and really like them too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by