1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Barred rocks and head spots

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Blisschick, May 20, 2011.

1. Blisschick

Blisschick not rusty

Feb 20, 2007
    Shepherd, Texas
    I'm new to Barred Rocks. I have 3 newly hatched chicks, and noticed that one has a less defined head spot than the other two. Can you tell the sex of the chicks from the head spot in Barred Rocks, or is it just one of those things where I'll have to wait and see what I have in a couple of weeks?

2. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

You get guidance but not a guarantee by the head spot. Small round head spot, black streak down the front of the legs, and black down feathers means pullet. Lighter grey down feathers and blotch head dot means roo.

That said, at 4-5 weeks, they are extremely easy to sex as the real feathers begin to come in. The roos have bright white bars, while the pullets remain rather dark looking with smaller specks of white, usually.

3. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
  4. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

5. Blisschick

Blisschick not rusty

Feb 20, 2007
    Shepherd, Texas
    Well, then, considering the given information, I very possibly have two males and a female, but the head spots aren't exactly matching up to the color of the legs. I'll let you know in a couple of weeks how it comes out.

Last edited: May 20, 2011
  6. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I find that it works much better on hatchery Rocks than on good breeder quality lines. It's not only the head spot, though, but three traits taken together: head spot, down color and leg color.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by