1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Barred rocks as a meat bird ?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by victor1800, Oct 8, 2011.

1. victor1800

victor1800 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 18, 2009
    Connecticut
    We have a small flock 10 of home raised barred rocks and 7 are roosters all of which are about 7 months old we have to lower the amount of roosters and we can't find anyone who wants them. Are they to old to be decent table food birds, should we stop feeding layer food? I f they get any older will the meat get tougher to eat? This is are first time thinking about eating fresh home raised birds.

2. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    They're still good to eat, any older and yes they're a bit tough and require some stewing or a crockpot or tenderizing.

Barred Rocks were originally meant to be a dual purpose bird, BIG breed, however most of them now a days are bred for egg laying production, so you won't get very much meat off of them but enough to eat.

3. victor1800

victor1800 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 18, 2009
    Connecticut
    Thats what I was thinking, they seem like there is just not a lot meat.But still we are gonna have meal, do 2 birds at once.

4. JerBear

JerBear Out Of The Brooder

Oct 2, 2011
    Southern Illinois
    I have about 30 rocks and another 25 in the brooder. They dont have allot of meat, but enough to make a good soup or enchladas! And they do get big. But a good salt water soak and a stew pot makes them pretty good eats.

Jerry

5. Keara

Keara Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2009
    Vermont
    the roos are good size for eating, but the hens are soooo tiny!

6. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    Go ahead and butcher them. The flavor will be wonderful.

Cook low and slow. They will make excellent shredded chicken for burritos or tacos. Or shredded chicken with barbecue sauce for sandwiches. Or chicken and dumplings. Or crock pot chicken. Or soup.

7. Noymira

Noymira Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2011
    Chittenden County, VT
    Quote:x2!

I have a Barred Rock cockerel who has now caught up in size with my Black Copper Marans cockerel, and they are both BIG boys.

I've been contemplating the same thing about the Barred Rock, since he's a bit rough on some of our hens, and he's been giving me the eyeball lately. He could just be trying to get some attention from me like some of the hens, but I have a feeling that is not the case... He does not have the qualities I'm seeing and liking in my BCM and I'm not sure I want to keep both, although they get along well together.

8. blue lotus

blue lotus Out Of The Brooder

Jul 27, 2011
    We recently butchered two Barred Rock roosters at about 6-7 months old. They weren't tough at all, and were quite tasty after being roasted in the oven.

Ours had a decent amount of meat, actually more than some whole chickens I have seen in regular grocery stores.

9. KandiandJerry

KandiandJerry Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm thinking Chicken and Dressing.....YUM YUM!!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by