Barred Rocks for meat

whelans

Hatching
7 Years
Oct 4, 2012
Our local TSC asked me to rescue a handful of straight run barred rock chicks who had been pecked. I'm a third year chicken owner and have had plenty of experience in bringing pecked chickens to health (plus they were super cute, who could refuse that?). The chicks are not more than a couple of weeks old, and I'm sure the breed isn't totally pure however, it is looking as if I may have a few...or a half dozen roos in the mix (I'm aware that its pretty early to sex them). I don't mind a couple roosters, but we currently have a buff orpington roo who is about to become roo stew. I am wondering at what age do you slaughter barred rocks and how do they do for meat? We've raised cornish rocks and though we processed them at 16 weeks they seemed rather tough. So again, how early and are they worth trying to use for anything but stew and stock? Thanks!

at 16 weeks for Cornish rocks that was to long they should have been done at 6-8 weeks no wonder they were tough and as far as the barred rocks Butcher them at 18 weeks-20 if you thought the Cornish were tough wait untile the barred rocks get butcherd they be a lot a lot tougher. sell the hens for money and eat the roos

Back
Top Bottom