Barred Rocks Fully Grown?

In the animal world, "adulthood" is usually qualified by being ready to reproduce. I would think then that when your chickens are ready to lay eggs or impregnate a hen then they are fully grown. I'm not sure specifically, but I think that for Rocks that age is around 4 1/2-5 months.

If you don't want them to fly, why don't you trim one of their wings? They wont be able to keep their balance or get to high up. But be careful and do your research first before you try it.

Thanks.
I was hoping they would be too fat to fly over
the fence. We'll have to see when they're
full size.

They're in "lock down" today as I caught them
in the garden yesterday among the tomatoes
and watermelons!
Very naughty!

I'm a little "chicken" to clip their wings
but I may have to do it.

Check out this page: https://www.backyardchickens.com/LC-wingclipping.html

You
really don't want your chickens to get fat. If you are keeping them for eggs, being fat will lower their production.

How high is your fence? Maybe you should extend it?

I'm nervous about my future chickens getting into my garden. My heirloom tomatoes are my babies! I pamper those plants more than some people threat their beloved pets.

I personally am really against wing clipping. Our hens never wander away. We have a 1.5 foot fence and they totally acknowledge it. If you teat your birds well and they know where home is (chickens are real homebodies) you shouldn't have to clip their wings. Hope this helps!
smile.png

I meant I was hoping their breed would
be too fat to fly over the fence.

The fence is 3 or 4 ft. tall and i'll probably
have to clip their wings until they reach full
size and get too lazy to bother.

Back
Top Bottom