barred rocks gender

mjrs hens

In the Brooder
6 Years
Aug 23, 2013
Just got it a while back from a guy who told us it was a hen butshe makes these loud croin g noises in the mornin shelso hasnt layed yet

That "guy" was either woefully under educated or sneakily passed on a known cockerel that he needed to dump. If you wanted a hen, you got taken advantage of, sadly. No eggs from that guy, but the crowing will become rocketing loud soon.

That is a cockerel of course. Goodness sakes.

Last edited:
Thank u so much for telling me. Caus weve been thinking it was a girl for a long time and waiting for eggs and everything. Thank u again for tellibg me cause i dont want any crowing or fertile eggs.

The buyer also much be better prepared, if you dare me to boldly say this. These guys doing this duping couldn't pull this off if folks who were his potential customer were better able to distinguish the males and females.

In a Barred Rock, from approximately 5-6 weeks, the difference is night and day. The males already sprout red combs and wattles, while the females do not. The cockerels have 2 barring genes which makes their barring more distinct, more white and bright in appearance. The pullet only has one barring gene, thus she will have a darker look all the way around.

The cockerel holds his head up, as nature is preparing him to be the flock watchman. A cockerel stands taller, on stouter legs as he will have to mount the females in mating, again, as nature intended.

The pullet will be lower to the ground, as she will have to lay eggs, sit on nests, and be mounted, so nature prepares the way for her duties by making her so.

Pullet, a female at 8 weeks

A cockerel, a male at 8 weeks.

Side by side.

Last edited:
I Shouldve reasearched more befor going to that guys place and getting them.

Also is this true or false im thinking false but if you hold a chick on its back and let it lay in your palm i fit just sits there then its a hen and if it wiggles aound then its a rooster

Back
Top Bottom