Barred Rocks---Roos or Hens?!

daydreamer7884

In the Brooder
7 Years
Apr 19, 2012
So my two babies who go by either Salt and Pepper..Twinkies..Yin and Yang..whatever you want to call them are now roughly around 6 months old. All along I believed they were hens because they have never crowed. (I have one OEGB rooster who was an eager little fellow that started crowing at 3-4 months old). Well I've noticed over the last month that one of these Barred Rocks has been making weird throaty sounds (don't know which one it is..haven't caught the culprit in action!).. I thought maybe she(he) was sick but then came this morning when I was going to get in the shower and I head the distint crow..a crow that didn't belong to my OEGB. So apparently those nice weird throaty sounds was an apparent HIM that was warming up to what I heard this morning. So after my shower I went and stood in the back yard staring at the both of them..begging them to please just crow..something..just so I would know! (The anticipation is killing me)..but they just looked at me like "what"? SO now I am torn and need help deciding whether these two are hens or are they both roos? They are the same age and came out of the same bin at my local Atwoods. If they are indeed both roos I will have to rehome them. Lord knows my neighbors endure enough listening to my over zealous OEGB roo that crows at everything..all day..and even during the night..yes even at night. So what is everyones opinions? This is the most recent pic I have of them which was taken September 20th. I even noticed this morning they both seem to be growing spurs now..yay. I really hope someone can put to rest my wonderings..thank you!

Both roos.

I would give anything to trade the squeaky crows of our bantam cockerels for the deep, throaty crow of our neighbor's Maran rooster!

Not sure how obnoxious OEGBs can sound, but Barred Rocks are much bigger and mellower-sounding than our little screechers.

Quote: Oh I know what you mean. My OEGB isn't squeaky but my god after about the 100th time of hearing his "I'm king of the world crow" it gets a little old lol. It is a little on the higher pitched end. The crow I heard this morning out of one of these Barred Rocks caught me off guard because it was so deep and pure..just a lovely crow really. Thanks for the input on what you think they are!

100% roos!
D.gif

Back
Top Bottom