barred rocks

the crow?
lau.gif

I know that was helpful...

Here's a link to some pics of barred rocks. http://www.mypetchicken.com/Plymouth_Rock-B85.aspx

Since
all chickens develop differently and the Barred Rock hen and roo both seem to have red wattles and combs you may have to wait for that crow. Good luck, and if you have a picture to post that would help us too.

Last edited:
Some people can tell the difference when they are hatched. It has something to do with the spot on the back of their heads,..I think the hens spots are more round and the roos are oval. Also their legs and feet, the hens are supoosed to have a black wash down the front of their legs or something to that effect. Plus the barring on their feathers,..the hens are darker and the roosters their barring is wider or more prominet. It all goes something like that anyway,...oh and when they crow that is a definite sign of a rooster,..LOL!
frow.gif

Girls bar out darker. Boys far lighter. Girls start tails early, boys late (hardly there at first). Girls have little feet and ankles and dark on front often all the way down the toes. Boys get goofy heavy feet and ankles and usually have less dark legs. Girl feather in wings and wing bows quickly. Boys feather in more slowly, especially on wing bows.

Back feathers come in, in a wide band on girls and a narrow bandstrip on boys. Boys feather in the center of the chest much later.

Boys tend bigger slightly, fairly quickly, and stand taller. Girls are rounder and wider.

Barred have a sex linked trait that makes pullets black and cocks white. Very easy to tell the difference between the two. If the barring is not following these guidelines, you either have a bird with bad blood lines or a cross.

Can you tell by the skin around the eyes? I have 2 - Mine are 10 weeks and look very close to each other in appearance, although one is only slightly larger and has red skin around his eyes. I've seen him crow, so I know it's a rooster, the other I'm hoping is a hen. Is that possible?

Can you tell by the skin around the eyes? I have 2 - Mine are 10 weeks and look very close to each other in appearance, although one is only slightly larger and has red skin around his eyes. I've seen him crow, so I know it's a rooster, the other I'm hoping is a hen. Is that possible?
If they look very similar? I would say you have two roosters. At 10 weeks old I was certain which ones were my roos.
_MG_1813.jpg
Here is a colour example of a hen VS a rooster - a hen is much darker. Not to mention the roosters have a big comb and wattles by 10 weeks.

Back
Top Bottom