Barred Rocks

head1855

Hatching
7 Years
Feb 20, 2012
We are looking to get our first flock but have a question. While researching breeds on this site, I have noticed that some of them have "quiet" listed in the details section. This is very important to us in that we live in a neighborhood with an HOA. We really like the Buff Orpingtons and the Ameraucanas. We also like the Barred Rocks but notice that "quiet" is not listed in the details section for these. Are they considerable more noisy than the Orpingtons and the Ameraucanas?

I have 2 Barred rocks and they are pretty quiet, one of them is my baby and is super friendly. Ive raised them from day old chicks and they have been the calmest of all my girls. I have a couple different breeds and they are the calmest and softest birds out of my flock.

I currently have an Easter Egger and production reds in a city subdivision. (I have never had Orpingtons, but I did have a barred rock.) I would stick with the Ameraucanas. My Barred Rock was vocal and her egg song could wake you up in the morning. My little Easter Egger doesn't make the same noises as the rest of the girls; she kinda purrs and coos and trills. She doesn't sound very chicken like at all. Even the egg song is not loud or distinctive.

Just my $0.02

Maybe someone else will chime in on the Orpingtons.

welcome-byc.gif
I personally have never noticed any one breed being noisier than another. I have Ameraucanas and EE and Rocks, and many others too. They all seem to be equally talkative. I have lots of chickens and it is really not that noisy, but maybe I am just used to it.

Good luck on your search! BTW I highly recommend a variety if you can, brown eggs, blue eggs and dark eggs. I also like a variety of bird colors. BR and EE are great choices!

I really like Barred Rocks and have four of them. I am not sure if you are looking to raise several generations of chicks, or if you are only for a hobby and eggs. If you are not looking to raise more generations of chicks, you can avoid getting a rooster which will cut down on much of the noise. You will still be able to get unfertilized eggs, still have a hobby with pets, and avoid any crowing from having a rooster.

Good luck with your future plans and welcome to BYC.

welcome-byc.gif
thumbsup.gif

smile.png
Welcome to the flock! My Barred Rocks also have a very loud egg song. They lay just after sunrise and they start the egg song and all the other hens chime in. My EE rooster was the noisiest of the roos. If you have a HOA you probably aren't allowed roosters. Check out the fine print. Hope you enjoy your chickens.

I'm not even sure my HOA allows chickens!!! A rooster is definitly out of the question. We are going to give it a shot anyway. Thanks for all of the input.

Back
Top Bottom