Barred Silkies

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by BlueLagoonRabbitry, Mar 18, 2009.

1. BlueLagoonRabbitry

BlueLagoonRabbitry Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2009
    Western Iowa
    Would it be possible to breed barred silkies?

2. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    well there is already cuckoo, but for a true barred (if there aren't any already) you could probably use a barred cochin, but it would take a while.....
    Oooh, maybe I should sell my barred silkiexcochin for that, maybe someone would want the weiner [​IMG]

3. BlueLagoonRabbitry

Jan 17, 2009
    Western Iowa
    What would the price be for your cross?

4. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    I've been trying to give him away [​IMG] I just have too many roos. Honestly, I don't think the expense of shipping would be worth it. I think shipping plus box would be around $75 +/- [​IMG]

5. BlueLagoonRabbitry

Jan 17, 2009
    Western Iowa
    Dang what color is he?

6. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    black and white
    straight feathered cochin x silkie with a small crest.
    Maybe you can wait to see if anyone can tell you if someone is working on barred silkies......

Last edited: Mar 18, 2009
  7. BlueLagoonRabbitry

Jan 17, 2009
    Western Iowa
    barred silkie???

8. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    Because of the structure of the silkie feathers, I am not surea barred would be possible. Well if it was possible to breed, I am not sure if you could actually 'see're barring accurately

9. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    You could see the barring; it is very obvious on cuckoo. But I don't think you would be able to tell the difference between barred and cuckoo.

The difficulty is getting the skin dark--it takes crossover, which can take a number of generations. Cuckoos are at the point where some have really dark skin.

I doubt shipping and box would be that expensive--$60 max, and depending on how close the purchaser is it could be much less.

10. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    Quote:I have never personally shipped, just going by what I was told.....I am in Maine.....but even still, I don't think he is worth $60 [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by