Barring on a mille fleur/speckled sussex?

6Happiness

Songster
9 Years
May 31, 2010
I was playing around with the chicken calculator online, and some of the crosses I tried resulted in chickens that were genetically barred mille fleurs. But the calculator has no image for them. Can anyone tell me what they'd look like, or better yet, photos?

Reason I was playing with this cross is that I ordered several chocolate egg layers, and almost all of them died thanks to my post office's incompetence. I have only 1 survivor who is a cuckoo maran *male*. The replacement shipment (after talking to the P.O. about what they did wrong the 1st time) fared no better, so I don't want to order more until we move to a more rural area with a better post office. In the mean time, I'm figuring out what if anything I can do with the birds I have. These are just for us and our needs- providing eggs/meat for the family and preferably pretty colours/variations for the backyard, no showing or anything. The females I have to consider crossing to the cuckoo marans are buff and black minorcas and a speckled sussex. I thought the sussex would be a little more "interesting" / "fun", although I may just end up doing one of each. And yes, I know the egg colour won't be very chocolate, but it will be darker than what I have, and I'm just aiming for a pleasing variety in the egg basket.

Quote:
Cm X black minorca= black barred offspring

CM X buff minorca= black ( any part that is not buff) barred birds, females will have buff heads, breast and hackles- males will do the same- the amount of buff will vary among the birds- basically front end of bird buff while back end of bird is black with a zone of black mixing with buff in the middle.

Depending on the CM genotype you could get birds that are almost all buff with a smutty buff back half and a buff front half. Neck hackles will be spotty black.

CM x speckled sussex= black barred birds that will leak some red- red will be on head and heckles of male- females will tend to have red head and breast- The amount of red depends on the genotype of the CM. The offspring could be black barred or even black barred showing quit a bit of the red color.

If the CM is carrying the silver gene then replace he buff with white. If he is carrying silver and gold then you will get a mixture of the buff and white birds.

Tim

Last edited:
Thanks Tim,

do you know of anyone where I might find photos of such "mutts";... The textual descriptions are useful,. but I am such a visual person. the description also tend to "swim past" my eyes. Maybe I'll just have to do it and see it first hand.

i have never heard of chicken calulator...could you please post address site for it... thanks.

Quote:
Cool! I will look forward to that. My Roo is just a chick... going to be a whiel before I can even breed them.

May I ask what reason(s) you have to do the cross you are doing? Curiosity about the way it would look? Or breeding for soemthign else like body shape and the patterns are coincidence

That's easy, I'm doing because no body has one....
I've built the d'anver breed which really only has 2 common colors up to 30+. Barred millie is just another one I'd personally like to se in them

That's easy, I'm doing because no body has one....
I've built the d'anver breed which really only has 2 common colors up to 30+. Barred millie is just another one I'd personally like to se in them

oh and it's not a cross like you may be thinking, not going to change a thing about the d'anver as I am using all d'anver in it...male cuckoo d'anver to millie fluer hen d'anvers.
Just another color project for them

do you have any expectations/hopes of how it will look... or is it going to be a surprise for you as well?

similare to a mottled crele but with a buff columbian body, instead of a bb red body, should be very cool looking but no I have never seen anyone with them in any breed.
can hardly wait!

Back
Top Bottom