Basic Coop Question

Rose66

Songster
9 Years
Jan 26, 2011
Alabama
What are the pros and cons of building a 12x12 coop on skid runners vs corner posts in the ground? It will have an attached run and I really can't imagine ever moving it so I'm leaning toward permanent posts in the ground but my hubby wants skids "just in case I ever want to move it." Other than being able to move it if necessary, are there any other pros or cons for either way? Which ever way we decide on, it will have a wood floor in case that matters. I want permanent posts also due to it standing up to strong winds better. Thanks!

Depending on your local laws, putting it on posts can make it a permanent building - and can require a building permit. I put my coop on skids so that I 'can' move it
smile.png
Since it can be moved, it is considered a temporary building and my local laws did not require a permit in order to build it.

VF

Well, I hadn't thought about permit considerations....just checked and a permit is not needed but thanks for mentioning it. Anything else I need to consider?

I think putting in on skids is much better that posts. They don't tend to fly away very easily being 12x12
smile.png
Not only that, if you decide you want to fertilize another part of your yard or have the hens dig up parts of it for you, you can move the coop. I would definitely skid it!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom