basic goat question for "about to be new owner"

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by bassfishrman, Jan 2, 2009.

1. bassfishrman

bassfishrman Out Of The Brooder

Mar 16, 2007
    I am looking into getting goats for our family. I have a friend who is willing to give me 2 adult wethers. Will it be OK in the future to add does with them or will the female, when she is in heat, "make" the wethers become agressive? I can't have agressive goats due to small children.

2. mamabird

mamabird Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    App. Mtn's
    My opinion.... You should be fine with does and wethers. Just make sure the the wethers are kid friendly when you get them. Having does shouldn't have any effect on the wethers, unless they are jealous of the attention that they will have to share. Good luck! [​IMG]

3. EliteTempleton

EliteTempleton Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 9, 2008
    SW MI
    Having wethers will effect the flavor of the milk though.

4. Epona142

Epona142 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2008
    Bedias, TX
    No, wethers have no "buck" smell and will not ruin the milk at all. [​IMG]

5. Chirpy

Chirpy Balderdash

May 24, 2007
    Colorado
    I have a wether in with my milking does and he's wonderful. My children love him and he's over 200 lbs.!! He just a big ball of sweetness. You will have no issues with wethers in with your does as long as they are well adjusted wethers to begin with.

Wethers will not change the flavor of your milk at all. Having a buck near or with your does certainly can and probably will affect the taste of your milk. I am running a buck with my milk does right now (to catch one girl who has silent heats) and our milk has been slightly off since having him in there.

I highly suggest you have a goat vet already lined up before bringing home goats. Most vets do not do goats or know much, if anything, about them. Also, you may already know but you need really, really, really good fencing to keep goats in.

What breed are the wethers?

6. bassfishrman

bassfishrman Out Of The Brooder

Mar 16, 2007
    nubians

i also have a neighbor who is willing to give me a kid once it is weaned. It is a female. When it is weaned will it get along OK with the nubian wethers?

7. RockyToggRanch

RockyToggRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2008
    Upstate NY
    I highly suggest you have a goat vet already lined up before bringing home goats. Most vets do not do goats or know much, if anything, about them.

no kidding! my vet said my goat is an angora because "they're the only ones with long hair."

She's a togg!​

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 2, 2009
  8. B. Saffles Farms

B. Saffles Farms Mr. Yappy Chickenizer

Nov 23, 2008
    Madisonville, TN
    Yes, it shouldnt be a problem at all. They should get along great.

9. Chirpy

Chirpy Balderdash

May 24, 2007
    Colorado
    Yes, as bsaffles said, they should get along just fine. However, because of the size difference in a baby Nubian and adult Nubian you will want to make sure she has places to run and get away from the big boys if they get to rough in their play with her or around her. Not that they would likely try to hurt (I highly doubt that), but goats can get really boisterous when having a good time.

10. Haviris

Haviris Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2007
    You should be fine, I have bucks, does, and wethers and none are aggressive, and all can live together comfortably.

The only thing that "might" happen, if the wether was castrated late he may let you know when the does come in (even some castrated early), it won't be a problem (and can even be a help if you plan to breed), he'll just act alittle bucky w/ the does. I have 3 wethers and one of them likes to flirt w/ the does.

And because I love posting pics, here is my flirty boy Grim,
    [​IMG]

My other two wethers are nubians,
    This is Riply,
    [​IMG]
    and Rip Swimming,
    [​IMG]
    Couldn't find a pic of Onyx on here, he's solid black.

I love my wethers, I have another one reserved if the does cooperate and have a boy.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by