Basic Lean-To Coop Plan

enggass

Crowing
13 Years
Mar 8, 2010
Mid-Coast Maine
Hi all,
Looking for some basic plans for building a lean-to style(not sure how to refer to it) coop using 2x2s primarily for the frame. 4x6 footprint with tall side being 4'h and short side being 3'h.
Has anyone built something similar and do you have any pix? or do you know of a good source for plans for something like this?
I have looked at the coop section on this site, but am asking here as well.
If I were to buy a book, what would you all recommend?
Thanks,
Steve

I don't think you are likely to find one just like this because I think the framing needs to be done with 2x4's. I have built several lean-to's over the years and the construction is quite simple unless you try to close in all the top gaps. I use metal roofs which are also quite simple to plan. A few minutes with a decent lumber store clerk will probably suffice. Never had any more than a pencil sketch I'd drawn for the purpose of figuring how much lumber to buy.

I agree with ddawn on every aspect of her post...need 2x4s and metal roof. The coop you are planning is so simple it shouldn't cost you much of anything and you could make it really nice. Sketch it up and take it to HomeDepot or Lowes and they can hook you up with everything you need in 10 mins. Mine is a lean-to but its 40'L 20'W and 15'H. It's agains my barn and I love the design.

Good luck to you and post some pics when you get it built!

Lbrad7
do you have any pic.'s of it would love to see it , seeing I to have a 44' x 18" x 24" barn/garage which I would like to do something like that to one of the sides .......

Thanks Al.

I dont have any pics of it but I will see what I can do. All that I did was cut a section of privacy fence that I had laying around in half and mounted them to both ends of the barn so I have access to both ends of the coop. Then I wrapped the lean-to in 2x4 welded wire (making sure to go in between the rafters to keep out climbing predators) then wrapped that with chicken wire to keep out the smaller predators and to keep baby chicks in.

I cut pop doors into a couple of the 10x12 stalls and built a lot/run 30x60 off the back side of the barn that they have access to during the day.

If you already have that building you are good to go! I would section off part of it to use as the indoor part to allow them to get out of the weather and to keep the feed and nesting boxes. Then install a pop door and run and you are good to go! You have so a nice sized building you could go crazy with chicken math!!!

I guess our chicken tractor is a lean to type. Almost done! We just need to build a door in the run area.
70394_building_da_coop_day_2_7.jpg

Celia

Our shed roof is clear plastic (actually kinda blueish).
We did not build out for eaves, so now we will put some kind of gutter on the low side.
Make sure your drip line is far enough out from the coop! (we didn't, LOL)

I have built a lean-to style coop for my 6 chicks, but it is about 2x the size of what you are describing. Mine is:

o 4' x 8' platform
o 2" x 4" construction, 16" centers
o front wall is 7' tall
o back wall is 5' tall

You can find pics and general plans on my home page. I think you can reduce the scale and materials to suit your needs. 2" x 2s" should be ample to support the necessary weight if you place them at an appropriate spacing.

Let me know if you have any specific questions about my coop or any construction details...

Back
Top Bottom