Basic requirements for day olds?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by huntsman, Jan 19, 2010.

1. huntsman

huntsman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2010
    South Africa
    So,

You arrive home with a cardboard box containing day old chicks. What should you have prepared for them when you get there?

2. jerseygirl1

jerseygirl1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2009
    Orange County, NY
    I am getting some next month, so maybe people can add to this list I start, because I haven't got a clue!

Brooder
    250w red light, set at 95 Degrees constant on the bottom of the brooder
    Clamp for red light
    shavings
    Paper towels on shavings
    Grogel - if you use it
    water fountain
    chick starter
    corid
    ACV
    hand sanitzer
    camera

3. bigstack

bigstack Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2010
    Texarkana, TX
    Quote:Same as you but added :
    Blue Kote
    Neosporin- non pain killer- Nothing containing anything ending in -caine
    Grit
    Anti-pick or peck can't member exactly. lol
    2 large thermomators - to check temps at various places in brooder pen. (optional)

4. huckleberryfarm

huckleberryfarm Chickenista

Jan 7, 2010
    Greenwood, SC
    My very first chicks are coming in the next day or so. I have most of what you all just listed, except ACV, grogel and Corid. I know I've read about Corid. My TSC here didn't have much for chicks. Hopefully I can find somewhere else. What are these things and what do you do with them? Forgive my ignorance!

5. MissAnnieFrannie

MissAnnieFrannie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2010
    East TN
    well here comes the dumb question of the day, but what is antipeck and what is the neosporin for?

6. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Some chicks (like mine) were too hot at 95 degrees. I started out at about 85-88 and decreased 5 degrees each week. Make sure they can get away from the heat if they want to.

You'll need a feeder for the chick starter. And you could put marbles or rocks in the waterer to keep them from drowning. (it doesn't take much water for them to drown)

Neosporin is for wounds. Blue kote is an ointment that keeps the other chickens from pecking.

You only need grit if you are feeding them anything other than chick starter.

7. felidaet

felidaet Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2008
    Vancouver, Wa.
    There was a similar thread to this a couple of weeks ago. My reply then was the same as now. You needs lots of free time. Clear your social calendar. Make sure you have a working DVR or VCR if you have any favorite TV shows. You will be consumed by chick tv for the next few weeks. [​IMG]

And don't forget to have your camera ready to take lot's of pictures.

8. huntsman

huntsman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2010
    South Africa
    OK,

I have a solid idea of what is needed here.

I think I'll get the chicks asap and then build the coop after they arrive. The run is complete apart from the door..

This way there is no time wasted! [​IMG]

Chick tv? So that does not mean.....??

9. dovecanyon

dovecanyon Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2009
    Niland, CA
    No, it does not mean to give your chicks a tv! Ha!
    It means sitting and watching your chicks instead of tv. I think you will find there is no better entertainment than "chick tv".
    Do not worry too much about what to have/do for your chicks. You will be surprised how quickly you become a pro. Just watch them, their behavior will tell you much.
    One thing I will suggest, put the thermometer directly beneath the heat lamp. That is where your temp should be around 90'F (33'C). The rest of the brooder should be cooler. And lower the temp a little each week until you reach 70-75'F (23'C). After that, they won't need the heat lamp any more unless it is cold at night. Again, just watch the chicks, they will let you know if they are comfortable or not.
    You are going to have so much fun.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by