Basics??

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by doubleatraining, Jul 26, 2011.

1. doubleatraining

doubleatraining Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2011
    Franklinton, NC
    I'm starting construction on my chicken tractor this week. I plan on buying 2 standard hens and 1 bantam hen. I'm going to have the food/water mounted to a door in the center of the coop(covered). I really want to make my own containers that are easy to remove/clean. Besides water...how many feed containers do I need? I was planning on getting a chicken feed and offering it 24/7 but I see so many other options, scratch, oysters, etc. What do I really need for my girls?

I'm planning on building a dusting box and offering DE for my girls to bathe in.

2. ChickiKat

ChickiKat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2011
    Eastern Kansas
    you will only need one food bin, and dependant on where you are, you may need to get a heated waterer...... have fun!

3. doubleatraining

Jul 25, 2011
    Franklinton, NC
    So the Tractor Supply bag of chicken feed is all I will need?

Whats the best way to make a container?

Chickikiat, I'm planning on adding a heater/light for the winter.

4. chicken_noob

chicken_noob Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2011
    Chehalis WA.
    Im not sure about making a custom feeder, but something I did with my brooder feeder was drill a hole in the top, cut a round hole in the hardware above the feeder, then took a long funnel (auto parts store) now I can fill the feeder without having to pull out the feeder. When done you can drop a tennis ball in the funnel to "seal" it. Just my 2cents.

5. dsqard

dsqard Crazy "L" Farms

Jun 11, 2010
    York PA
    [​IMG]
    Similar idea to what chicken_noob was describing. You won't need a heater for your coop in the winter IMO.

6. doubleatraining

Jul 25, 2011
    Franklinton, NC
    OOOOH I like those feeders....is that just PVC? How did you hang them? Are they easy to remove?

7. dsqard

dsqard Crazy "L" Farms

Jun 11, 2010
    York PA
    Yes made out of PVC. I actually wound up getting larger bottoms for them so that the food could come down easier and the chickens could get at it easier. I found the bottom needs to be two inches bigger in diameter than the pipe. To hang them I just drilled two holes in the back towards the top of the feeder and then used the drill bit to elongate the hole at the top. That way I could use screws to hang them. Leave about a 1/4 inch of the screw out of the wood, align the holes over the screws and slide the feeder down over the screw head. I hope that makes sense. I bought the pipe precut so it took me maybe ten minutes to make each one of those feeders. I don't have to take them down to fill them, just pop the tops off and fill.

8. doubleatraining

Jul 25, 2011
    Franklinton, NC
    I understand, I'm going to look at the PVC choices tomorrow to see what I can make. Do you put water in them too?

9. dsqard

dsqard Crazy "L" Farms

Jun 11, 2010
    York PA
    It probably wouldn't work too well for water. I think the water would just run out of it. Maybe could work but I would be filling them constantly if they were for water. I have quite a few chickens and they go through a lot of water this time of year. I just stick to the three gallon waterers in the run.

10. doubleatraining

Jul 25, 2011
    Franklinton, NC
    I was thinking I could caulk the bottom of the tube...then drill 2 small holes about 1/2" up from the bottom and the water would run into the other larger top. I'll only have 3 hens so a decent sized tube should work.....famous last words right?? LOL

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by