Bassett Hounds: Can they be kept outside?

feather leg farms

Songster
10 Years
Jun 25, 2009
Salisbury, NC
One day I plan to own a Bassett Hound. I was wondering if they can stay outside. I can put a nice heat lamp on them in winter if needed. I was asking this b/c I have a beagle and she stays outside. They have the same fur type.

Bassett hounds are hunting dogs. They were originally bred to trail rabbits in all sorts of weather. Provide a dry, draft free coop and a bassett will do fine outside.

Willie Nelson....................I love WIllie NElson

4xvim2p.gif

Growing up we had Bassets.

Daisy would literally FREAK out when we brought her inside, she hated the indoors

Brutus our male LOVED the indoors.

We brought them inside when it got REALLY cold, snowy etc... or if the heat was just too extreme.

But I have to say they MIGHT have slept indoors a total of 10 days a year!

Now of course I only have spoilt, pampered pillow pets (yes including the Boxer) lol

You do have to watch the ends of the ears. They are much longer and will drag on the ground, sometimes splitting or getting frost bitten. Check on them and use some cream if needed. Most dogs can acclimate given enough time. Draft free housing with bedding will make life much nicer for the dog.
Slinky

It really depends on what the climate is like where you live. We live in north central MN and I have a basset and I would never leave her outside 24/7 in the winter, even with her insulated draft free dog house. She just doesn't have enough coat for that and it would be very hard on her. If I had hunting dogs and had two or three that could curl up together in a house, then maaaybe. But pet bassets are really "people" dogs and I don't feel leaving them outside alone all the time is fair to them anyway. My girl likes being an indoor/outdoor dog as she pleases, which means she wants to be out a lot when it's nice and in a lot when it's cold.
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom