Bassett Hounds: Can they be kept outside?

Ok! My aunt has one and some turkey friends we know have one. I really love the carmel on the bassett hound and the tri-color on a beagle. So wish I had one of these little cuties to go with my shar-pei and my beagle.

We use to raise Bassetts and they were kept outside in a kennel. We have nasty winters here and as long as they are kept in draft free/dry dog houses they are just fine. Ours got winter coats just like any outdoor kept animal would get.

Both my husband and I had basset hounds as childhood dogs. They are great dogs with the cutest personalities. My family kept our basset in a kennel outside and she never had a problem and we lived in Wyoming. I would be more worried about the NC summer heat than the winter if I was you. You should look for a Basset rescue in your area. They have great dogs that are usually in foster care so they are able to tell you a lot about the dog you are getting.

My basset is a rescue, and I would definitely recommend rescuing one if you can. That being said, most rescues will not adopt out a basset to a strictly outdoor home or a home without a fenced yard, since they follow their noses so easily. Just FYI.
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom