Bat Poop and chickens

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by melissasz, Jun 26, 2011.

1. melissasz

melissasz New Egg

Jun 3, 2011
    We have thirty month old chicks. I'm keeping them in the top floor of our barn in a brooder we built so the cats and other animals can't get to them. We also have bats that hang out in the eves of the barn. Yesterday I was told if the chickens eat bat poop they will get sick and probably die.
    I'm quite concerned as the bats fly all over our property and I know that I can't keep the girls from eating anything on the ground. (Right now the bats aren't getting into the top part of the barn where I have them but they could.) Has anyone else had to deal with this? We live in Maine.
    Thanks for any advice.

2. Stoney22

Stoney22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2011
    new hampshire
    im thinking if they directly are getting pooped on and eating the waste of the bats they may get sick but i wouldnt worry about them eating it in the yard, itd be so widespread i wouldnt think it would be much of an issue and really if you free range them they probably will eat alot of stuff you wouldnt think they would/ should. i think your stressing over it for nothing but i certainly wouldnt promote it eather by continuing to leave them in the top of the barn.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by