Batch of chicks 3 weeks old all died accept for 1 chick. Over the course of 2 days.

Burnis

Hatching
Apr 14, 2020
Chicks stopped eating and drinking. No activity. Ruffled feathers. Head drooping. Blood in poop. Not sure whats going on. I need to find out soon because just had new babies hatch this weekend and want them to be safe and stay healthy. Can anyone help with info.

Chicks stopped eating and drinking. No activity. Ruffled feathers. Head drooping. Blood in poop. Not sure whats going on. I need to find out soon because just had new babies hatch this weekend and want them to be safe and stay healthy. Can anyone help with info.
they could’ve had a disease. you need to make sure where they were at is really cleaned before putting new chicks there. are you incubating them?

Yes I'm incubating
They were doing fine until I moved them to my larger brooding area. I had recently received some chicks from a neighbor that he no longer wanted to care for. They were in lager brooding area before them. The neighbors chicks all in the coop now doing fine.

Coccidiosis. Were you giving them medicated feed? I'd recommend it in this case with the new chicks especially.

If you were using medicated feed then it sounds like a preventative dose wasn't enough so you'll need to treat with Corid.
Coccidiosis. Were you giving them medicated feed? I'd recommend it in this case with the new chicks especially.

If you were using medicated feed then it sounds like a preventative dose wasn't enough so you'll need to treat with Corid.
Yes I started treating all my chickens yesterday. No new sick chicks so far.
5 chicks hatched this weekend feeding them medicated feed. And doing a lot of cleaning up around coop and brooder areas. Hope this works i hate seeing my chicks getting sick.

Yes I started treating all my chickens yesterday. No new sick chicks so far.
5 chicks hatched this weekend feeding them medicated feed. And doing a lot of cleaning up around coop and brooder areas. Hope this works i hate seeing my chicks getting sick.

If they get a serious bout of it medicated feed may not contain enough amprolium so augmenting with Corid would still be necessary, so definitely keep an eye out for any of the symptoms you previously encountered in case that does happen.

Hopefully all the new chicks will be fine without need for additional treatment!

If they get a serious bout of it medicated feed may not contain enough amprolium so augmenting with Corid would still be necessary, so definitely keep an eye out for any of the symptoms you previously encountered in case that does happen.

Hopefully all the new chicks will be fine without need for additional treatment!
I'm treating them with corid. Not taking any chances.

I agree it does sound like Coccodiosis...

Back
Top Bottom