Bath tub brooder and playtime!

alliecat2886

Chirping
6 Years
Feb 26, 2013
Sioux Falls, SD
My chicks and ducks are about 10 days old. Well exept 2, they are about 3 days old. The ducks are all 10 days old too. I have them in o ur unused bathtub...and today I made them some roosting bars out of cardboard boxes and sticks. I also made the ducks a water catcher...they spull so much water and this way it doesn't ruin the bedding as fast! Got the idea from this site!! We also took the chicks out to play the other day. Here are pics of everything!! If you know what breed some of them are feel free to tell me! There are three roosting sticks in that box. I'm thinking ill have to get a different set up for the ducks soon. John (yellow duck...my 6 yr old named him) is getting huge!

Too cute! I haven't a clue what your little chicks are (besides little pooping machines, your poor towel). I really like the idea of using the unused bathtub though. How's the clean up when everything is said and done?

At first I just had beddi ng down and cleaned it as it got dirty. Then I started putting newspaper down under the bedding. Stuff gets a lil crusted on but my vinegar/water cleaner gets it off just fine. Ill probably bleach rhe tub when they are out to get rid of stains. ..

I like the idea. I was checking out another thread that suggested using sand as a brooder material, that it helps keep the smell down. I'm trying to think up a way to combine the two ideas without completely clogging the drain in the tub come clean up time...

I am also using a bathtub in an unused bathroom. I put duct tape over the drain to keep the litter from falling into it. I am cleaning the litter out with a kitty litter scoop. When the chicks are ready to leave the tub I will remove all of the litter with the scoop , take the tape off of the drain, and use Rubbing alcohol to remove any sticky left behind from the tape. I am hoping it works out in reality as well as it does in my head.

We also use our less used bathtub with wood shavings and tape over the drain. It is great b/c it is in the bathroom that we use during the day on the main floor so the ladies get a lot of attention. AND we can **** to door to keep kitty out! However, they get big and mobile SO fast that my hubby had to build a cover with wood and chicken wire with in the second week! I am still a little lost about cleaning, how often etc. I am experimenting with DLM so will see if I find myself scooping less. Will try the kittly litter scoop to lose less shavings each time... Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom