bathing a chicken!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by kimice, Sep 29, 2011.

1. kimice

kimice Out Of The Brooder

Apr 30, 2011
    hello all! I was just wondering if anyone had experience in giving a chicken a bath? I got some rescue chickens and a couple of them have white feathers. The came from crowded conditions and the have dried poo on thier feathers. Almost making them look brown! I have had them about 3 weeks now. I was hoping that maybe some nice dust baths might make things a little better. No such luck though. I was thinking about giving them a bath before the cold weather gets here, but I don't want to tramatize them. I imagine bathing a chicken is a bit stressful for them. Any advice would be helpful on the proper way to do it or the least traumatizing way to do it. Any advice would be helpful as I have NEVER tried to bathe a chicken. [​IMG]

2. sutillman

sutillman Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2009
    south georgia
  3. GoldenSparrow

GoldenSparrow Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    We gave our a bath, one even took a shower! (dont try the shower [​IMG])

BATH TIME! [​IMG]

two of our roosters after there bath
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. MommyMagpie

MommyMagpie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2011
    Salem/Jarvisville, WV
    Our girls like to have a bath. We put them in the tub and use baby shampoo. We blow-dry them afterwards too.

5. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    I imagine it'll be more traumatizing for you to bathe them than it well be for the girls. I do mine outside in a washtub, but then again it's really warm out here right now and I don't blow-dry, just towel dry. I hold on to those legs. Mine aren't exactly cuddle bugs or anything and don't care for it, but it's not stressful for them. Especially if the water is nice and warm.

6. kimice

kimice Out Of The Brooder

Apr 30, 2011
    I love the pics [​IMG] I'm going to give it a shot with a couple of them next weekend. It should be sunny and 80. My husband may think that I have lost my mind [​IMG] if I put them in our bathtub or shower! So, I think I will try a tub full of warm water outside. Thanks for all of the suggestions!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by