Bathing Chickens

Pardon my ignorance, and truly not trying to be a smarta$$ here, but why are you bathing your chickens? Are they show birds?
No, they are not show birds but one has matted poop on her butt so it needs to be removed to see if there is anything else going on.

No, they are not show birds but one has matted poop on her butt so it needs to be removed to see if there is anything else going on.
Chickens do not bath in water. I know people do wash their chickens with soap and water but it isn't good for their feathers or skin. Chickens do not sweat and therefor do not produce saline at their skin. What they do produce is oil and dust bathing is to soak up this oil when it gets old and dirty.
You can clean your birds rear end with your fingers. Sure, it isn't the greatest entertainment but it works. Some of the lumps are quite hard to break and the poop around the feather quill ends can be scrapped off with your finger nails. Wash your hands.

Chickens do not bath in water. I know people do wash their chickens with soap and water but it isn't good for their feathers or skin. Chickens do not sweat and therefor do not produce saline at their skin. What they do produce is oil and dust bathing is to soak up this oil when it gets old and dirty.
You can clean your birds rear end with your fingers. Sure, it isn't the greatest entertainment but it works. Some of the lumps are quite hard to break and the poop around the feather quill ends can be scrapped off with your finger nails. Wash your hands.
Oh joy!😬

I use baby shampoo, for mucky fluffy butts and grubby polish head feathers!
DSC_0323.JPG

Look at the state my Alice gets in!
20200427_124035.jpg

All clean again!

Back
Top Bottom