Bathing Methods?

Fanci Feathers Marans

Chicken Tender
Jun 26, 2017
Missouri
I am noticing a pattern in the chicken bathing tutorials. "A splash of vinegar" or "a squirt of glycerin" or "soak for a while". No specifics, just pictures of chickens in 5-gallon buckets. I am also getting conflicting information on which tub should go first.

What works for you? How close to show do you bathe them?

Soaking in epsom salt for a little while will help clean their butts.
But....you should probably find out what is causing the poopy butts to begin with.

Last edited:
What You Need
•3 Tubs
•1 bottle of Mane and Tail Shampoo
•Bottle of White Vinegar
•Toothbrush
•Small Dish Cloth
•Large Towel
•Blow Dryer(optional)

NEED TO KNOWS & SUGGESTIONS
•DO NOT let the birds head go under, or drink any water especially after shampoo!
•If your water smells like pickles in the 2nd tub either add more water or dump it out.
•Make sure you get under the birds wings and underside in each step!
• For the 3rd tub I like to only fill it halfway up the birds breast. This is just a personal preference though.

1. Fill all of the tubs with warm water, first and second up to the bottom of the birds neck, have the shamoo bottle placed right next to the first tub. And the toothbrush next to the third
2. In the second tub add 1/3 of a cup of vinegar.
3. Grab the bird and soak it in the first tub, you want to make sure you get the bird wet everywhere.
4. Take the bird out of the tub and lather it with shampoo. Make sure you get everywhere.
5. Place the bird back into the first tub and scrub the shampoo around, try to get as much off as possible.
6. After scrubbing the shampoo around on the bird place it in the second tub.
7. The second tub helps discard any left over shampoo so make sure you get this water everywhere.
8. Place the bird in the 3rd tub. This is where I make sure the vent feathers and everywhere else is clean. Scrub the legs, and tops of feet(as long as clean legged*) with the toothbrush.
9. Take the bird out of the last tub and fold it up in the towel.
10. Now you have option to either blow dry or air dry your bird.
10A. If you choose to air dry you want to keep your bird in the towel for at least half an hour to make sure it will not get chilled. You also want there to be a breeze outside. 90F or warmer temperature is the best. Keep the bird outside until it is dry.

10B. If you choose to blow dry, the simpler option in my opinion. All you need is a place to blow dry your bird. In the summer months I have a fan also. In the summer I will often take turns blow drying birds. I will blow dry one bird for 5 minutes, and then put that bird in front of the fan and blow dry the other bird. I will keep doing this until they are fully dry. Make sure you get uner the wings, around the vent, and underneath the bird.
11. Everything is done. Now place the bird back in the conditioning cage.

*if clean legged run your fingers through to make sure

Make sure the bird has trimmed toenails and beak if needed.
Most judges do not like birds with artificial, spray on sheen or vaseline or any type of oil on the comb.

Do you have a show box already together?
What breed are you showing?

Sorry if it is kind of spacey I wrote this up quickly

Back
Top Bottom