Bathing my hen

sekeyslaks

Crowing
9 Years
Jun 25, 2014
Hello all!
smile.png

I have recently noticed one of my hens is getting very poopy on the bottom and I can't stand that.I need to know how to wash my bird,and what shampoo to use.My hen is an easy bather so I'm not worried about keeping her contained.Please respond soon,Thank you!

Hello all!
smile.png

I have recently noticed one of my hens is getting very poopy on the bottom and I can't stand that.I need to know how to wash my bird,and what shampoo to use.My hen is an easy bather so I'm not worried about keeping her contained.Please respond soon,Thank you!
Fortunately, bathing chickens is relatively easy. To begin, get these items together:

• 3 tubs that are large enough to submerge your hen about 3/4 of the way
  • Some mild soap/shampoo, like baby shampoo or a dog shampoo
  • A cup for pouring water over the bird
  • A large towel
  • Rubber gloves (if you don't want to get your hands dirty)
  • Approximately 1/4 cup of vinegar
  • A source of warm water

Fill each tub with 85-95 degree F. water. Arrange the tubs in a row, so that you can move the bird through them. In the first tub, squirt some of the mild soap/shampoo into the water and swish it around until a few suds are formed. Leave the second tub full of plain water. And for the last tub, pour the 1/4 cup of vinegar into the water. Now you are ready to begin washing.

Holding your hen firmly, place her in the first tub. Work the soapy water into her feathers using the cup and your hands. Obviously, pay the most attention to her dirtiest areas--near the vent, legs, etc. Don't rub against the grain of the feathers, or you risk breaking them.

When you think she is thoroughly wet and soapy, move her into the second tub. This is the rinse tub. Swish her around in the water and pour water over her using the cup. It is important to get as much soap out of the feathers as possible, or they will be sticky and won't dry right. Once you think you've removed most of the soap, move her into the 3rd, last tub.

In the third tub, pour the water over her feathers and just let her sit there a while. The vinegar will help strip any remaining soap from her feathers, and also has the benefit of helping kill any mites/lice on her. The hard part of washing is then over. Take her out of the tub and wrap her in a towel. Try to pat the feathers dry as well as you can, but don't worry about getting them perfectly dry. After you've removed as much water as possible, let her air dry in a clean area. She should be fully dry within 24 hours.

I hope this helps! Good luck!

Last edited:
That helps a bunch thank you for the info!
smile.png
If anyone has any other info please share!

My hens get baths in the bath tub, I bleach it after, obviously :p
I just use flea and tick shampoo for dogs and puppies and rinse very well. I blow dry mine afterwards, but its not necessary if the weather is still hot where you live. They LOVE being blow dried! If the weather is cool where you are, it is important to get them dry.
I don't like poopy butts either, can't stand it, so I take care of it. Poopy bottoms are the only reason I bathe :)

Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom