1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Bathing time or spa visit?

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by chefgian, Mar 8, 2012.

1. chefgian

chefgian Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2011
    Stow, OH.
    I had heard that you could bathe a chicken but never tried until today. I have a bantam d'uccle with heavily feathered feet and it has been a muddy winter. Needless to say her poor feet were filthy, so I decided to give it a shot. I wish I had video taped it. She took to the water like a duck and seemed to purr through the bath. I dried her off with a towel and had her in my lap when I decided to expedite the drying and try to blow her dry. She didn't flinch a bit. When I turned her over on her back with her legs sticking out, I ran the dryer on high speed, medium heat while fluffing her feathers. She just laid there, eyes fluttering and closing. Reminded me of myself when I get a massage. lol. She even let me trim her feathers.

2. stilldeb

stilldeb Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2010
    NW Kentucky
    Aw, how sweet. I have a couple of bantam D'Uccle hens and they are among my sweetest chickens. I have bathed them a couple of times for the same reason - those feet! They get caked with mud.

I have bathed several other chickens for various reasons - skin problems, injuries, just plain dirty, etc,, including Sebright, Sultan, Cochin, none of them, hens or roosters, seemed to mind it all - I think they all rather liked it.

3. chefgian

May 10, 2011
    Stow, OH.
    Good t0 know :)

4. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    All ladies like a warm bath now and then. Even the ones with feathers on their legs!

5. chefgian

May 10, 2011
    Stow, OH.
    I'm always up for a warm bath also, but those aren't feathers on my legs. lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by