1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Bathing

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by cravenchx, Aug 13, 2011.

1. cravenchx

cravenchx Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2011
    Piedmont of NC
    I know chickens like to take dust baths, do you need
    to supply "extra dust" in the run? My neighbor has
    an old green sandbox turtle, and he has told us to take
    it. I thought about letting the girls use it for baths. What
    do you guys think? [​IMG]

2. Kathleen1115

Kathleen1115 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 21, 2011
    I'd do it, but don't think you have to. They'll dig themselves holes - or in our case large trenches that the humans twist their ankles in - but our girls love anything new that has dirt in it. We put a big wash tub with marigolds planted in it in their yard and after they ate all the plants they rolled around in the tub for a few weeks.

3. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    My run is now all construction sand. There use to be grass, but they quickly eaten and destroyed all the grass. They scratched all the dirt underneath(which wasn't much) and found more sand. They have their favorite places where they dig themselves deep holes. I throw 2 hansfuls of homemade scratch every morning in the sand for a treat. I do free range supervised 1-3 times a day, so they do get to eat grass, weeds, and bugs. My chickens seem to be really happy!

The sand makes it very easy to clean the poop out! I use a kitty litter box scooper.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2011
  4. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    I usually throw my wood ash in the run. They mixs it in the sand.

5. cravenchx

cravenchx Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2011
    Piedmont of NC
    Quote:Thanks, I think it will be fun to watch!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by