Bathtub as Brooder Question

chickenkerri

In the Brooder
10 Years
Feb 10, 2009
Western North Carolina
I'm getting 30 Silkies this Wednesday and it's going to be really cold around here. I'm thinking of using my tub as a brooder (don't tell dh
tongue2.gif
)

For those of you who've done this: Did you use pine shavings? And if so how did you clean them out once the chicks moved on? If not pine shavings, what other bedding materials would be good in a tub brooder?

Thank you!!

Pine shavings are the best bedding. They don't mat, they are absorbent and heat-reflective, and easy to clean out. Just make sure your tub is big enough to have proper brooder space for all your silkies, or else that could promote cannibalism and other vices, as well as making your chooks downright unhappy.

The upside of using a tub as a brooder is that washing it out afterward is a piece of cake! Remove as many of the shavings as you can for the compost pile. Then, I weight down some cheesecloth over the drain, run water in the tub, all the chips will collect at the cloth. Just shake out cloth, repeat until sparkly clean!

I don't use a bathtub, but it sounds like a creative idea. I use an old horse tank waterer. I use straw as bedding, because I'm afraid of the chicks eating wood shavings.

One question. What does "DH" stand for? I know it is something to do with a husband, but what is the D? lol

I use my garden jacuzzi tub for a brooder sometimes. It works great. I use a dustpan to scoop out the shavings.

I would NOT use pine shavings in the bathtub.

I DO use my bathtub as a brooder and what I do is put a towel down everywhere but the drain area. In the drain region I have the food and water.

Every day or two I pick up the towel, shake it outside and wash it. With 30 chicks, you might need to do this at least once a day if not more!

Occasionally I put mine in a box and do a complete cleaning.

Back
Top Bottom