Bator recommendations?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Motherhenandflock, Jun 14, 2007.

1. Motherhenandflock

Motherhenandflock Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2007
    Southeast Idaho
    You folks have given me the bug! I've always enjoyed driving into town real early to pick up a peeping box of chicks from the post office. But after reading of your excitement of having a chick hatch! Well, I am ready to learn.
    What do you all use? I won't be needing something that will hatch 100s of eggs. :eek:
    What about different sizes of eggs? Can they fit in the same bator or what would I need?
    What is a "good and easy" bator for a newbie?
    I could have my DH build me one, but I have other honeydo things for him to keep busy quite awhile.
    But that would be an option too to keep costs down.
    [​IMG]

2. aran

aran Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2007
    rochester ny
    I made one...total cost was about $10. It is forced air, will hold about 15 eggs i guess...has large viewing window...looks like it will work pretty good...took about 1 hour to make (if that) once I had all the materials.

I will see how it works over the next 3 weeks i guess...the eggs are being shipped to me on monday.

3. redneck

redneck Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2007
    Lynchburg,Tn.
    [​IMG] I built mine it will hold at least 3 dozen eggs. Mine is a forced air. Total cost was $2.00, that was for the transformer. I get my eggs tonight, will let you know how it works in three weeks.

4. Smoky73

Smoky73 Lyon Master

Feb 8, 2007
    Colorado
    In my opinion, the best incubator, (But not the cheapest) is the Lyon TX-6 or TX-7.
    They are pricey, but pretty much foolproof and you are almost guaranteed to get a hatch. They don't hold alot of eggs, 26 bantam or 18 standard, just depends on the turning ring you have. Everything is done from the outside without opening the lid, turning, adding water.

To be fair, people also love the Brinsea's but I havent ever tried one. I have three Lyons and thats all I need. I have a 100% hatch happening as I type this.

5. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
  6. Motherhenandflock

Motherhenandflock Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2007
    Southeast Idaho
    Hey that looks good MissPrissy! All the stuff can be bought at Walmart, huh? Let us know how the eggies do in there.
    What do you set the eggs in once you are ready?

7. aran

aran Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2007
    rochester ny
    hey redneck how large is your bater? I think mine is about 22x22inches i would guess.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by