bator vs natural

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by coffeemama, Mar 7, 2008.

1. coffeemama

coffeemama Barista Queen

Mar 5, 2008
    Oregono
    I just bought a lg still air with auto turner (because it's all I can get my hands on at the moment). I have 6+ banty ameraucana eggs being shipped today-will be here next week. Should I have my broody hen sit on them, or tinker with the bator? Which do you think will have better results? I have the weekend to either make her a more cozy, solitude set-up, or mess with the bator. Should I do some with her-some in the bator? I'm totally new to incubators, so I'm a little freaked out about it, not to mention all the bad reviews of the lg. Help!!!

2. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    If the broody is a reliable one, I would let her hatch them. I would also tinker with the bator just in case the hen stops sitting. If you want, you can always get more eggs for the bator!!![​IMG]

3. coffeemama

coffeemama Barista Queen

Mar 5, 2008
    Oregono
    Quote:Oh yeah-my husband will just love that I'm being encouraged to get more!! [​IMG]
    I found a few local resources with eggs, so I may just have to get more for the bator! How will I know if my hen is unreliable-will she just not set right from the start, or (more likely) get up at day 15 or something? Geez-I would feel like I had to watch her like a...well, you know. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by