Battery powered heated waterer.

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by GrantKazSpaz, Nov 10, 2018.

1. GrantKazSpaz

GrantKazSpaz Chirping

Jul 13, 2018
    I have been looking for heated waterers to keep my chickens’ water from freezing in the winter. However, I can’t find any that can be powered by batteries and not by a cord. Our coop is way back in the woods and we can’t reach an extension cord out there. Do you know any battery powered heated waterers we could get?

2. wamtazlady

wamtazlady Songster

Jul 18, 2013
    Kalispell MT
    Making heat takes a lot of power. I can not imagine any type of battery lasting very long if it is used to heat water. If you live where it gets below freezing regularly you just might have to plan on going out 2 or 3 times a day to replace water. Might be easier to try to move your coop closer to the house where you can run an extension cord.

3. Kat2141

Kat2141 Songster

Jul 25, 2018
    not sure how handy you are or what kind of set up you have... but here is an option. Get a regular heated dog bowl that uses about 25 watts. Set up a solar panel with a marine type battery and a small inverter to plug your bowl into. If you have a decent size battery, it would likely last all night and then it could recharge in the daytime.

4. TreeHugger

TreeHugger Songster

Apr 7, 2008
    I used a propane stocktank heater in a small hog type water tank for years to water my flock. The tank sits outside the run and I cut a hole through the fence for the drinking part so the birds can reach it. Since I am rebuilding my run this winter and my birds are barricaded in the coop I have to run extension cords this winter (not to thrilled about it).

Attached Files:

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: