Battling coccidia

I know its been a little while but I was finally able to purchase it and receive it. How early can you give this to chicks? They are almost 4 weeks old. How much can I give them? They are not showing any signs of coccidia but I want to be proactive. Or should I wait until I out them outside?
Unless they are already on the ground and acting slow I would wait until they have been on the ground a week. It will not hurt them to have it earlier. They don't have to be on the ground to get cocci as it travels on the air, your hands, and clothing including your shoes. The mixing directions on the bottle is fine for chicks, if you have the 25% it should be 2.0ml per quart, (liter).

My 2 cents, and I don’t claim to be an expert on treating it. This is what’s been working for me:

1. Brood your chicks in the same materials they’re going to be living in from day one. I use leaf litter and grass clippings as their bedding in the brooder. I brood them outside with the free range flock. Seems like the sooner they’re exposed to the pathogens, the better off they are.

2. The coccidiosis strain on my yard seems to hit some breeds harder than others. I’ve found that highly pure bred (meaning inbred for my purposes) strains seem less resistant. This year I’ve been outcrossing most of my lines and its done wonders for increasing their resistance.

Unless they are already on the ground and acting slow I would wait until they have been on the ground a week. It will not hurt them to have it earlier. They don't have to be on the ground to get cocci as it travels on the air, your hands, and clothing including your shoes. The mixing directions on the bottle is fine for chicks, if you have the 25% it should be 2.0ml per quart, (liter).
They are currently in a small coop that I built inside my living room. I wash my hands before and after handling them. I guess I am paranoid at this point. I will monitor them closely and wait until they are moved to the coop outside. Thank you!

They are currently in a small coop that I built inside my living room. I wash my hands before and after handling them. I guess I am paranoid at this point. I will monitor them closely and wait until they are moved to the coop outside. Thank you!
If you want to introduce them gradually, you could pull a weed or some grass w the roots attached from their future run area and let them peck around at it a bit in the brooder. I did that every few days with this batch of chicks, and everything went super smooth! That way whatever is in your soil will be there, and they can build up immunity gradually against any strain they will later come into contact with.

My 2 cents, and I don’t claim to be an expert on treating it. This is what’s been working for me:

1. Brood your chicks in the same materials they’re going to be living in from day one. I use leaf litter and grass clippings as their bedding in the brooder. I brood them outside with the free range flock. Seems like the sooner they’re exposed to the pathogens, the better off they are.

2. The coccidiosis strain on my yard seems to hit some breeds harder than others. I’ve found that highly pure bred (meaning inbred for my purposes) strains seem less resistant. This year I’ve been outcrossing most of my lines and its done wonders for increasing their resistance.
They are about 1 month old. Would it be too late to start adding leaf or grass to their bedding?
I have had the issue with those I hatched and those I ordered on line

They are about 1 month old. Would it be too late to start adding leaf or grass to their bedding?
I have had the issue with those I hatched and those I ordered on line
No, I don’t think so, but I’d have Corrid on hand and as soon as you see bloody stool dose them up until gone. Then repeat until they’ve been reinfected and treated 3 or so times.

Back
Top Bottom