Battling Mites

5th lake chick

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jul 19, 2012
Northern Wisconsin
I have been trying to rid my chickens of mites since the end of April. 2 chickens continue to lose feathers on their backs and have very red skin. I have cleaned and dusted the coop and the birds each week. 2 hens are fine. but 2 keep having the bald spot and one is starting to lose more feathers. I have been treating the bald red spot with Vaseline, and antibiotic ointment this week. one is getting better. How do I get rid of!!!!. I have not tried the frontline under each wing yet. but will do tomorrow if it will still be ok to eat the eggs. Help Please I have already lost a rooster to mites and am worried about my hens,

I have cleaned and dusted both coop and birds. I am using Garden and Poultry dust. Is that different from SEVIN? I am really at a loss, the ointment was just to try and treat the red area on the backs. Are you familiar with frontline use on chickens?

Mites do not like tea tree oil and water. Killed them on contact in my coop. I used the sevin liquid to get in all the cracks. I hope you get rid of the mites. :)

I don't know how much I used. I had an older bottle and used what was left in it (less then an ounch. I mixed it with water in a spray bottle. The mites were all over my husband and I sprayed his arm and they died.

Back
Top Bottom