Bay Area Backyard Chickens

Hardir

Chirping
Sep 20, 2021
Hi All, I am a new chicken owner. My family of four built a coop and acquired 6 young chickens (city limit). We were hoping for laying hens, but I am worried 4-6 of them are roosters. Now I’m trying to figure out how to rehome the roosters as they are illegal in the city 😩.

We know one for SURE has begun crowing in the morning and are pretty sure 3 others are roosters as well. Hoping the last two are hens.
2D41F3BF-BE62-486B-B4F7-23011DD23EC0.jpeg

Pecky - we think a roo

4622C7F7-2E5D-41A1-9C10-73307F73B7C9.jpeg

Red the tall one is our obvious rooster. What do you think about the blue americauna and orange one next to the rooster?
Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated! We are located in San Jose.
Thank you!

Welcome! Being new to chickens and getting too many boys in your first batch is something I know very well! It’s such a bummer when you get attached and then the stress of not being able to have them and know where to take them! I would need to see the back of your Americana (it looks like an Easter Egger/Americana to me anyway) as some of the feathers look like narrow saddle feathers. Although if it’s 5 months old it may be a pullet as there’s not a ton shouting male about it! The other one you asked about looks pullet to me too.

As for what to do with your Roos…there are a couple Facebook pages you might consider joining in CA that help connect you with people looking for roosters. I know there is someone in San Jose that is starting a rooster rescue on the Everything Rooster Facebook page and California Poultry page as well. I have been able to rehome all 7 of my roosters through one of these pages and the Sacramento Poultry Facebook page.

Good luck and enjoy your chicken journey!

Welcome! Being new to chickens and getting too many boys in your first batch is something I know very well! It’s such a bummer when you get attached and then the stress of not being able to have them and know where to take them! I would need to see the back of your Americana (it looks like an Easter Egger/Americana to me anyway) as some of the feathers look like narrow saddle feathers. Although if it’s 5 months old it may be a pullet as there’s not a ton shouting male about it! The other one you asked about looks pullet to me too.

As for what to do with your Roos…there are a couple Facebook pages you might consider joining in CA that help connect you with people looking for roosters. I know there is someone in San Jose that is starting a rooster rescue on the Everything Rooster Facebook page and California Poultry page as well. I have been able to rehome all 7 of my roosters through one of these pages and the Sacramento Poultry Facebook page.

Good luck and enjoy your chicken journey!
Thank you! I will have to get more pictures tomorrow. I agree, they might be Easter eggers. I will look for the Facebook page as well. Thanks so much for your input!

Back
Top Bottom