Bay Area BYCers!

Saddles worked out really well!

Two of my roosters are quite passionate with their favorite hens, which left their backs almost completely naked, and one of which was turning red. Also, being in the molting season made it worse.. I filed, and rounded the tips of the roosters' nails but was not any help at all. I could not separate them because due to predator problems, need the roosters to guard the flock, where they are fabulous guards and protectors.
Finally, decided to make some saddles which I have heard comments about; did not think it would work; but, out of desperation decided to give it a try. Well, I am happy to say that; they do work miracles!! They had the saddles on for more than two weeks now, and their new feathers are pinning out. I am thankful to the person who came up with this wonderful creation: chicken saddles!!

Lual

Very nice looking saddles! What kind of fabric did you use???

Very nice looking saddles!  What kind of fabric did you use???

Thank you! I used 100% cotton fabric, and thick cotton lining to protect their backs from the pressure of the rooster's nails. I thought a fabric which can breathe would be best for their skin & feathers. Also, the thick lining is preventing the saddle from rolling up.

Lual

I have 3 Cream Legbars available. (2 hens 1.5 years old) and 1 pullet 4+ months old. I am selling them because they do not have the crest that the standard calls for so I won't be using them as breeders. They hens will likely start molting soon.

If gunnarmcc isn't interested I definitely am. We had to give away one of ours when we discovered he was a rooster so we're looking for a third girl to join our flock. I'm most interested in the pullet because she'd be about the same age as our girls. You can send me a PM if it doesn't work out with gunnarmcc. Thanks!

I have some hens available to good home. They are past their prime, but still are laying and occasionally go broody. I am asking $10 a piece. Money is not as important as a good home.
On the list:
3 Tolbunt Polish
1 Silverlaced Brahma
1 Swedish Flower Hen
1 black Orpington
1 black orp/mix

I also have a young pullet Sweed/Tolbunt that is really colorful and cute
Extra Tolbunt roosters...
Extra Bresse Hens
Pickup is in Santa Rosa.
Please PM me with any interest.

Thank you! I used 100% cotton fabric, and thick cotton lining to protect their backs from the pressure of the rooster's nails. I thought a fabric which can breathe would be best for their skin & feathers. Also, the thick lining is preventing the saddle from rolling up.

Lual
Thank you! Do you have a pattern that you followed or did you make your own. I recently cut some fleece ones using an existing one for a pattern but I'm not happy with how they fit. I'm looking for a new pattern.

Thank you!  Do you have a pattern that you followed or did you make your own.  I recently cut some fleece ones using an existing one for a pattern but I'm not happy with how they fit.  I'm looking for a new pattern.

I made my own pattern. First made a prototype with felt so the adjustments would be easy, and did several fitting sessions on the hens which they were not too fond of. I had to make 3 different size to fit Orpington, RIR, and Ameraucana. Also, on some, did not use snaps because they were pecking at it. Śo far, after 3 weeks, the results are wonderful, and all the feathers are coming back in. I put the saddles on at night; following morning they behaved as if nothing was different.

Lual

What a bummer! :-( Our Americana, Polly, just disappeared this afternoon. No stray feathers or bits of this-n-that to be found...just gone. They were in an uncovered pen and everyone was there at 4 PM, but she was gone when it was time to close up the coop. They do have a covered run that is a lot smaller. About 6 months ago I lost another pullet the same way...just disappeared. Could this be a hawk or an owl?

DO you have hawks big enough to take a pullet away? Id expect a pile of feathers and some parts for a full sized pullet. Any chance a fox could have gotten in there? they are my new bane. It also sounds too early for owls.

DO you have hawks big enough to take a pullet away? Id expect a pile of feathers and some parts for a full sized pullet. Any chance a fox could have gotten in there? they are my new bane. It also sounds too early for owls.
I would have expected at least some feathers too, Kim, but in this case it was just a naughty girl! I leave early for work, just at daylight these days, and as I was walking toward the gate this morning I heard a "cluck-cluck" from an unexpected direction. There she was scratching around in the side yard! She must have pulled a jail-break then found a place to roost for the night. I picked her up and carried her back to the coop...AFTER showing my wife that she was still with us (!) and gave everyone a little scratch. :)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom