Bay Area BYCers!

I have two silver campine pullets and a bunch of straight run BLRWs if anyone is interested. We are located in Vacaville. These are the last hatches from my breeding pen before we sold those two breeds. Hoping someone local is interested :)

I have two silver campine pullets and a bunch of straight run BLRWs if anyone is interested. We are located in Vacaville. These are the last hatches from my breeding pen before we sold those two breeds. Hoping someone local is interested :)

i'm interested in the campines! just sent you a PM...

totally busted -- picking 'em up today... (so excited!)
wee.gif

Hi everyone, Jenny here from Berkeley! First time poster... long time reader, haha! I lived in Oakland for 15 years before moving to Berkeley late last year. I've had a backyard flock for going on 10 years now... just added a few ducks this spring.

So I was curious if anyone else out there find it really hard to get out of town? Who's gonna let the chickens / ducks out, lock them up at night so they're safe from predators, and make sure they have food and water, etc etc?

When I lived in Oakland I was in a duplex so pretty much someone was always around, and in return for eggs, my chicken-friendly neighbors would pitch in. Now that I'm in Berkeley that sweet situation is gone. With summer approaching, we're stressing out about how we're ever gonna get outta town and go camping!

You guys have any thoughts? How do you do it? Has anyone ever brought up starting some kind of chicken-sitting co-op?

Hi everyone, Jenny here from Berkeley! First time poster... long time reader, haha! I lived in Oakland for 15 years before moving to Berkeley late last year. I've had a backyard flock for going on 10 years now... just added a few ducks this spring.

So I was curious if anyone else out there find it really hard to get out of town? Who's gonna let the chickens / ducks out, lock them up at night so they're safe from predators, and make sure they have food and water, etc etc?

When I lived in Oakland I was in a duplex so pretty much someone was always around, and in return for eggs, my chicken-friendly neighbors would pitch in. Now that I'm in Berkeley that sweet situation is gone. With summer approaching, we're stressing out about how we're ever gonna get outta town and go camping!

You guys have any thoughts? How do you do it? Has anyone ever brought up starting some kind of chicken-sitting co-op?
welcome-byc.gif
I totally empathize with you on the getting out of town thing! I have to con my adult children into letting the girls out in the morning and shutting them up at night when I'm out of town. I currently have teen-age chickens that take extra care, 3 chicks that were hatched by a broody and then cut loose at 4 weeks old, chicks in an indoor brooder, and staggered hatches of eggs in the incubator. It doesn't look promising for vacation for me this year. A chicken sitting co-op sounds good but I'm a good 30 min. from Berkeley so too far away!

welcome-byc.gif
I totally empathize with you on the getting out of town thing! I have to con my adult children into letting the girls out in the morning and shutting them up at night when I'm out of town. I currently have teen-age chickens that take extra care, 3 chicks that were hatched by a broody and then cut loose at 4 weeks old, chicks in an indoor brooder, and staggered hatches of eggs in the incubator. It doesn't look promising for vacation for me this year. A chicken sitting co-op sounds good but I'm a good 30 min. from Berkeley so too far away!
Sorry I don't live closer Debi!!
th.gif
But thru this site, I found someone who lives just 5 minutes from my house....we trade off chicken sitting duty! Maybe someone who lives nearby will step up and help out? Good Luck!! And a Chicken sitting co op sounds good!!

I conned my mother to come down for DH birthday. he is supposed to have some auto caterers set up by then, and I'm hoping to just have one brooder of chicks ( it could happen!!) This will be the first time we have gotten away together since we moved 2 years ago...

Back
Top Bottom