Baytril injections in wing

Rcornerranch

Songster
Sep 23, 2020
Lincoln County, MO, USA
Vet told us to give 1 ml baytril injections in our rooster’s wing. How do you give wing injections? I read some awful things about baytril injections. Will he be ok if we give him the injections the vet gave us?

backstory: We took a 6 month old Australorp rooster in to the vet yesterday, and he had a lot going on! Negative fecal, though. However, Tippy has avian pox, tons of lice, and might : ( have MG. Which means every bird here (turkeys, ducks, chickens) probably has already been exposed. The vet said his nasal stuff might be the pox but it very well could be MG. She gave him the first injection around this time yesterday.

@casportpony can you help with Baytril? I think injectible Baytril can be given orally, but I would rather that she help you. I would prefer to give it orally myself. Most injections for chickens are given into the breast muscle. Some give a few in the back of the neck just under the skin. What strength is the baytril that you have? Avian or fowl pox is a virus that is spread by mosquitoes. Mycoplasma or MG is a common secondary bacterial respiratory infection. It does cause bubbles in an eye, nasal drainage, sneezing and the usual respiratory symptoms. Baytril is one antibiotic that will treat it.

The paper doesn’t say what strength the baytril is. Our turkeys got pox, but we believe they caught it through all the ticks here. There are wild turkeys we occasionally hear or see (also lots of wild quail). The vet thinks he could have both mg and pox. He has white dots on his comb that look like pictures of chickens when they have pox. Because we also bought adult chickens a month and a half ago, we might have brought mg into our property. They are not particularly healthy, but the rest of our chickens were until we brought new birds in (suddenly we have lice problems and birds making weird sneezy coughing sounds). Though it could just be pox from our own turkeys. Hope it’s not mg!

We do not have a bottle of baytril on hand. Only what the vet gave us in the syringes.
Since MG is a common disease, there is always a risk when adding new birds to the flock who are from somewhere else. Can you call the vet in the morning and ask what strength of Baytril and the dosage they gave you? 10% Baytril or enrofloxacin dosage is 0.05 ml per pound given twice a day. That would be 0.25 ml or 1/4 ml. I would give it orally this time and check with the vet office, and have them get back to you.

If you have any pictures of the pox, we always are interested in seeing them.

40747FA3-7F9C-436E-A60A-DC7C3F8BBE64.jpeg
AE800713-0D3D-4C1C-867C-D72C0567D651.jpeg
5CE706D8-1744-4014-BAA2-9A3526364455.jpeg

He has such a long neck! The pox is worse on one side. Whiney sneezy cough sounds better today. Our roosters sneeze cough on cold mornings, but Tippy is the only one with visible crusty snot and cough is much louder. Almost seems he’s trying to shake out snot? Can mites or lice cause coughing if they climb in their nose? We are going to treat coop and birds with elector psp for the mites.
A1E29AD0-DE62-4A1C-8DE4-EA35498B76F4.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom