Baytril math is killing me

chrys64moore

Chirping
9 Years
Dec 12, 2012
Okay, so I have some baytril that was originally prescribed for one of our rabbits, 30mg/ml, and I have a 3 lb chicken. NOBODY in my house can figure out the correct dosage. Can someone help me? I'd really like to use this rather than the other kind I have (in water) because this is honey flavored and I think it might be easier to get her to take it. Feeling dumb.

Christine

Okay, so I have some baytril that was originally prescribed for one of our rabbits, 30mg/ml, and I have a 3 lb chicken. NOBODY in my house can figure out the correct dosage. Can someone help me? I'd really like to use this rather than the other kind I have (in water) because this is honey flavored and I think it might be easier to get her to take it. Feeling dumb.

Christine

I use 20mg/kg per my vets. Based on that, the math for a 3 pound chicken using the honey flavored liquid is:
3/2.2 x 20/30 = 0.9ml

If the the other stuff you have is 100mg/ml the math for it is:
3/2.2 x 20/100 = 0.27ml
It can also be given orally.

The math for liquids is easy, all you need to know is the weight of the bird, the mg needed per kg (in rabbits it between 5-20mg/kg twice a day), the number of mg per ml. Make sense?

Doses I have been instructed to use are:
10mg/kg *twice* a day for five days
15mg/kg once a day for five days
20mg/kg once a day or five days

Check the expiration date on the honey flavored Baytril, some compounded drugs have a short shelf life.

-Kathy

The dosage of baytril for chickens is generally 10mg/kg (https://sites.google.com/a/poultrypedia.com/poultrypedia/medicine-chart). Your bird weighs 3lb which equals approximately 1.4kg (google conversion). DUH, math idiot! (edit). Pause for stoichiometry. Go with Kathy's math. I get 28mg (If you go with Kathy's suggestion of 20mg/kg) and my calculator is out of batteries so I would say that .9ml is close enough. Actually, If I came up with a dosage of .9 for one f my birds, with baytril, I would round up to an even mL.

Baytril is a flouroquinolone and that is a class of drugs which bacteria can really build up a resistance to quite quickly. I have found that higher doses work really well for shorter periods.

Now, there is some research to suggest that a two-day pulsed dosage of 2.5X the recommended dosage is actually just as effective and will be less likely to stimulate resistance in the bacterial population. I have tried this and found that I actually had to extend it to five days.

If you do not see an improvement after two days on baytril, try something else.

Also, do not give baytril along with anything that has calcium in it. Calcium and magnesium (anything that raises pH, really) will counteract the effects of baytril, this is a drug that does best in an acidic environment.

Last edited:
If you decide to use the 10mg/kg dose the amount you would give is:

Honey flavored 30mg/ml would be 0.45ml
The other stuff, which I think is 100mg/ml would be 0.14ml

Call your rabbit vet and ask them what they would recommend as a dose.

-Kathy

Thank you so much! Seriously, it was horrible---my son and I randomly writing down numbers ( 30, 10, 1.33something, etc. ) and staring at the page like total math rejects. It was like a terror-filled flashback to high school. You guys are awesome!

Christine

Thank you so much! Seriously, it was horrible---my son and I randomly writing down numbers ( 30, 10, 1.33something, etc. ) and staring at the page like total math rejects. It was like a terror-filled flashback to high school. You guys are awesome! 

Christine

You're welcome! I got tired of my roommate looking at me funny every time I had to ask him to help me figure out a dose (he's a brainiac), so I sat down a thought about it a little, and with a little help from him, that's what I came up with for figuring out liquid doses.

-Kathy

I do the same thing. And I was a biology major which means that I had to take tons of chemistry and to a lot of stoichometry, as soon as I passed, I forgot it all. Sometimes I multiply and divide myself in circles. Thank goodness my husband is both Asian and a math major, sometimes he really has to extract my brain from some seriouisly twisted math issues.

You're welcome! I got tired of my roommate looking at me funny every time I had to ask him to help me figure out a dose (he's a brainiac), so I sat down a thought about it a little, and with a little help from him, that's what I came up with for figuring out liquid doses.

-Kathy
That is called stoichiometry Kathy, you invented it all on your own.

Sounds like your husband and Mike are very much alike (Mike was physics major that now does both hardware and software engineering). Too smart for me, lol.

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom