Baytril or Cipro?

Pics
Little Ildi is such a beauty! 💜 She is such a stunning pullet. What breed is she? Is she calm and sweet even when she's healthy? I'm in love 😍
She's a Silver Spangled Hamburg. And yes, she's always sweet. Doesn't make trouble with the other chickens. She was always a little skittish out in the yard, but if I managed to catch her she'd let me hold her. So yeah, I'd say she's calm. She never runs around squawking like some of them, that's for sure. I'd highly recommend the breed. Very nice birds.

And she's even sweeter and snugglier as a house pet ;)

Last edited:
Small update:

Heard from the vet.

She was given 60 mL subcu fluids total. 30 mL in each leg/thigh area.

Vet says that I should keep giving the probiotics he gave me in addition to the ones in the Kaytee, so I'll be adding those to the morning food regimen.

They do perform gram stains on poop, but they send them out to a lab to have it done. Not in house. They're going to call me tomorrow with the fee. I am absolutely willing to spend whatever it takes to make Ildi better, but if it's not super necessary I'd rather save the money right now. Treating her so far has been very expensive. I'm over $700 at this point, and I'm between jobs at a moment, so this has come at a really bad time.

I'm glad you have such sweet little pets. People really underestimate how great of pets chickens and ducks can be.
Oh these babies are my life. I've been through allot the past 6 years. They really were and are still a big part of my therapy. If I'm sad I go out with the ducks and chickens. All 27 now have a special place in my heart. Some more than others. But they really are great pets

Oh these babies are my life. I've been through allot the past 6 years. They really were and are still a big part of my therapy. If I'm sad I go out with the ducks and chickens. All 27 now have a special place in my heart. Some more than others. But they really are great pets
Ditto. I literally started raising chicks to take my mind off of killing myself. The indoor ones are even better for that because it keeps me very distracted taking care of them and watching them/talking to them all day.

She's not eating or drinking at all (I have to tube all her food), she breathes with her mouth open when sleeping, and just seems weak. I'm hoping that if I can keep her alive/get her more nutrients on the Kaytee she'll get more vigorous and be able to fight off the infection with the help of the antibiotics.
She's not eating or drinking at all (I have to tube all her food), she breathes with her mouth open when sleeping, and just seems weak. I'm hoping that if I can keep her alive/get her more nutrients on the Kaytee she'll get more vigorous and be able to fight off the infection with the help of the antibiotics.
I’m fairly new to chicken so I’m so sorry I can be of no help. I just wanted you to know I’ve been reading your thread and I’m pulling for you. I do know the pain in dealing with a chicken you love who is critically ill.I’ll be thinking of you and hoping for a good outcome.

I’m fairly new to chicken so I’m so sorry I can be of no help. I just wanted you to know I’ve been reading your thread and I’m pulling for you. I do know the pain in dealing with a chicken you love who is critically ill.I’ll be thinking of you and hoping for a good outcome.
Thank you very much. It feels go to know we have so many people rooting for us.

Ok, price for a gram stain is $152
Oh my gosh! That's really expensive. Is this the price with your vet sending it off? I wonder if you could contact your state lab and see if you can take or send a sample in for testing? That would cut out the middle man and possibly cut costs?

@casportpony @Wyorp Rock @azygous
Any ideas on a lower cost gram stain?

I'm hoping that, since Baytril is effective against both gram positive and gram negative bacteria, it won't matter which it is and the Baytril will just wipe it out. My Baytril is scheduled to be delivered on Friday (28th). USPS don't fail me now of all times :rant

Back
Top Bottom