baytril pills

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by cristina33, Oct 22, 2010.

1. cristina33

cristina33 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    ma
    can u crush baytril pills and put them in chicken water? I have some 22.7mg

2. drafthorse39

drafthorse39 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2007
    Baltimore, MD
    Hope someone can help you soon...

3. Cloverleaf Farm

Cloverleaf Farm Bearded Birds are Best

Sep 16, 2008
    Levan, UT
    You CAN, but Baytril doesn't dissolve real well (do you have the brown chewables, or the purple ones?) the purple ones will dissolve better. And I assume you're going to dissolve in a syringe and give the full amount, right? You don't want to put it into free choice water and expect them to drink it, because you can't guarantee how much they are getting. It's much easier, by the way, if your vet can give you Baytril injectible to give orally. 15mg/kg/day.

4. cristina33

cristina33 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    ma
    they are the purple ones , i dont have the injectable kind . I was thinking of crushing and putting them in the water . Dont know if its a good idea or a bad one?

5. Cloverleaf Farm

Cloverleaf Farm Bearded Birds are Best

Sep 16, 2008
    Levan, UT
    It would work, like I said, if you crush it and put it in a syringe of water and do it that way, though honestly it would probably be easier to just cut them in half and shove them down....

6. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Why are you wanting to put them in the water?

7. tellynpeep

tellynpeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2008
    SW New Hampshire
    Quote:Exactly! Chickens are very easy to pill: open the beak and push it down... no teeth!

More importantly though... Baytril is not approved for use in food animals (it is expressly forbidden in poultry) so if you use it you can never sell the meat or eggs from this chicken. Ever. If you got this from your vet s/he should know this and warn you about it. If you treat an entire flock, you will be out the entire value of the flock.
    I'm just sayin......

8. Gallus_domesticus

Gallus_domesticus Out Of The Brooder

Feb 21, 2008
    Arizona
    Quote:MANY veterinarians do NOT know that they aren't allow to use Baytril in chickens. Sometimes avian vets who see chickens on a regular basis don't know this. But even if they don't, they should still be advising chicken owners on withdrawl times for drugs they're prescribing. In which case they should discover that they can't find a withdrawl time for Baytril because they shouldn't be using it...Sorry, rambling now. Personally, I love Baytril [​IMG] and think it's a shame, but apparently some people are worried about keeping humans healthy too [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by