Baytril question

Also the first time we had bumble, I did the feet soaking and wrapping for a couple of days, even up to two weeks. Then once the scab was soft we tried picking it off to find the core. It seemed to hurt the duck and there was so much blood we couldn’t see. Instead we turned the antibiotics namely baytril

Thank you. I wasn’t sure on the sand but I’d seen people say it would clog up their crops. It seemed cleared up..? I checked it frequently and the black scab was completely gone not to mention that her foot looked better in general. I have duck booties, vetercyn and antibioti cream. I’ve had two very minor cases I managed to clear up just with the above treatments together. I also found manuka honey helped. It has been SO muddy this spring and I don’t think that helped my dramatic rise in bumble cases. I thought antibiotics would have cleared the bumble completely to?
Not necessarily.
Bumble pus is hard and cottage cheese like.. I think antibiotics would stop the infection from spreading and help it heal.
But without removing that hard core I would imagine it would just come back.
Also the first time we had bumble, I did the feet soaking and wrapping for a couple of days, even up to two weeks. Then once the scab was soft we tried picking it off to find the core. It seemed to hurt the duck and there was so much blood we couldn’t see. Instead we turned the antibiotics namely baytril
Yeah. Bumble surgery looks to be brutal. I don't know if I would want to tackle that myself.
But I'm also one that very much resists going to the vet too.
The only "bumbles" I have treated were more just on the surface... There wasn't really any type of core in there to get out. A few days of soaking and applying clear iodine took care of it.

I can't imagine they would eat enough sand to cause a problem but I guess if they were gulping it down like candy Maybe 🤪
A duck doesn't have a true crop like a chicken anyway their esophagus just expands.
That's why when they eat a bunch it looks like their whole chest has ballooned out and will sag.

Very true. The bumble surgery looks awful😳 the one time I tried I found no core. Sand would get too hot here. I’m hoping I can adjust our run and put our ducks on grass and leaves our chooks on dirt( 10 year with chickens and never any bumble on dirt, just the ducks) hopefully that should help them

Back
Top Bottom