BB guns for kids

we always had BB guns -- Wondering if us playing Army set the career paths for the whole lot of us -- We got lessons on the meaning of life never hunt if you aren't going to eat, no waste . I wish nature had the same lessons - I keep a gun now for coons etc. because they are glutton hunters will go through a flock take one piece out of each bird but not eat . I don't think it is an age thing though it is a kid thing -- Each kid is ready a different age you don't want a kid taking shots at critters for fun --

Last edited:
My mother instilled a serious sense of responsibility with guns and hunting. And used my cousins as the primordial "Bad Example". Those kids were bad news all around. I never had any contact with guns growing up except for hanging around the cousins.

My kids, however, got all the serious education with the Boy Scouts and 4H as soon as it was available. One of my sons went to the 4H state championships skeet shooting. Our county's 4H is very serious into shotgun. Now, we all have something to target shoot with, my dear son has even taken me skeet shooting with his friends.

Hmm....I don't remember their exact age, but I want to say around 4 years old is when I got my kids their first BB gun. It feels like they have always had one.

All of my children know how to handle a gun, thanks in large part to being taught with a BB gun as a child. My youngest son, now 12, still has toy guns that he mishandles and plays goofy war games with, but the instant he picks up his BB gun or his .22, he takes on a completely different demeanor. I love knowing that they can safely handle theirselves around weapons. I am a firm believer in the motto that "Gun's don't kill, people do".

Don't remember when I got my BB gun, probably about age 10 however, I started out with a single shot, bolt action .22 at age 7, 12 gauge shotgun at 10. If I may there are two things about gun safety to impress beginners with:

1. Never point any weapon at something that you don't intend to kill.
2. Always assume that a weapon is loaded.

I started out with a .22 as well, a bit older than some here, around 10. Dad taught me a healthy respect for firearms though. Taught me safety and maintenance first (gotta have a clean firearm!) then shooting. It was good bonding time.

I got my first BBgun at 6, first high-powered pellet rifle at 8 and my first .22 at 10. I was exposed to BB guns at a younger age and allowed to shoot one under direct supervision since age 4, learning basic gun safety and marksmanship along the way. I was not allowed to use it unsupervised until age 7 after I had demonstrated a year's worth of responsible handling.

That being said, Boys will be boys and they will shoot things they aren't supposed to. Windows, songbirds, each other, etc. One of the risks in life you have to live with to raise marksmen.

A smoothbore "red ryder" type BB gun is not very effective for rodent hunting, but will teach them the basics of shooting and safety and provide countless hours of fun clanking pop cans around the farmyard. Velocity is very low and they are relatively safe so long as they don't shoot their eyes out. I found the sights to be pretty useless on mine and shot the copper colored bbs as I could see them fly like little tracers. I became an amazingly good instinctive shooter firing rapid fire from the hip, correcting and walking the shots onto target. Enough bbs lobbed at a barn pigeon would eventually take it down.

I would purchase yourself a high powered spring piston pellet rifle (the Gamo models are effective and affordable) and introduce the boys to that for precise target shooting and pest hunting under direct supervision. When you are comfortable with their gun safety they can graduate to that (sounds like you'll have to buy 2) and get yourself a .22 to start teaching the next level.

Get em a big bag of the little green army men. They make great targets out in the yard and will last almost forever. Boys love setting out a mock army and defending the fort.

Last edited:
The ones we got them are more powerful than a little red ryder type, so they should be able to get gophers with them at some point. Gophers are the one little critter they are allowed to shoot even though we won't be eating them as they cause damage to crops and pasture on our farm. Anything else they shoot, they have to be prepared to eat (and I've already told them I won't be skinning and gutting it for them, they have to do all that).

I should add that they have been shooting a little daisy every so often that belong to a friend of theirs. Every time he comes down so his Mom can milk the cow next door, he brings his bb guns and the boys all take turns. These are just the first guns they actually own.

Last edited:
Than again

http://www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,1748,153179-241193,00.html

Sorry, just couldn't resist.
gig.gif

Back
Top Bottom