bBs Orpington - cockerel

boatagor

Songster
7 Years
Apr 4, 2017
Southwest Virginia
This is my Meyer Meal maker chick. The options for the week I ordered were BbS Orpington or olive egger. I don't think this one's an olive egger but I could be wrong. My worry is that it's a cockerel. It's feathering very slowly compared to everyone else (even the other cockerels I'm sure of), and it's constantly sparring with the others. Probably going to need to rehome if it's male, I already have a lavender Orpington boy. Thoughts?

Also, it's consistently in the 70s at night here and 80-100 during the day. Would this one be safe to put outside in another week? All of the others will be fully feathered by then I believe, but this one worries me! They're 4 weeks old.

Attachments

• PXL_20220621_005300186.jpg
    PXL_20220621_005300186.jpg
    408.9 KB · Views: 12
  • PXL_20220621_005309241.jpg
    PXL_20220621_005309241.jpg
    380.4 KB · Views: 4
  • PXL_20220621_005311307.jpg
    PXL_20220621_005311307.jpg
    346.4 KB · Views: 4
I agree that it looks to be a cockerel, but it will be easier to tell in a couple more weeks. That chick looks well-feathered and should be fine to go outside with an adjustment period. I have a group of 4-week-old chicks that are doing great outdoors, I transitioned them to fully outdoors over a period of about 10 days.

I agree that it looks to be a cockerel, but it will be easier to tell in a couple more weeks. That chick looks well-feathered and should be fine to go outside with an adjustment period. I have a group of 4-week-old chicks that are doing great outdoors, I transitioned them to fully outdoors over a period of about 10 days.
I'm putting them outside for a few hours every day, starting today. My husband is tired of having them in the basement lol.

It's probably a cockerel. I'd assume that "Meal Makers" would be filler cockerels? But maybe I'm wrong. I don't like getting surprises. lol Depending on how many hens you have the two males will probably get along fine. My English Orpington males are great with one another. Hatchery birds may not follow the rules though.

It's fine to go outside. If it's cold it'll cuddle with other birds. Orpingtons tend to feather out slower, especially when it is hot.
The Meal Maker is supposed to be a free chick similar to what you buy. So if you buy meat birds, they send a free one. If you buy layer hens, they send a free one. It's whatever they have extras of for the week. The purpose is for you to donate the carcass or eggs, so I assume it's supposed to be female and is just a mistake. I'm bummed because I was really excited about it!

Update at 6 weeks. This chick is still way behind the others in feathering, but the comb also isn't developing as quickly as the other 2 cockerels. I really want to trade this one for a friend's if it's a she, but she doesn't want it if it's a he.

Attachments

• PXL_20220704_160941514.jpg
    PXL_20220704_160941514.jpg
    805 KB · Views: 3
  • PXL_20220704_160717215.jpg
    PXL_20220704_160717215.jpg
    762.7 KB · Views: 3
  • PXL_20220704_160929336.jpg
    PXL_20220704_160929336.jpg
    827.3 KB · Views: 3
This is my Meyer Meal maker chick. The options for the week I ordered were BbS Orpington or olive egger. I don't think this one's an olive egger but I could be wrong. My worry is that it's a cockerel. It's feathering very slowly compared to everyone else (even the other cockerels I'm sure of), and it's constantly sparring with the others. Probably going to need to rehome if it's male, I already have a lavender Orpington boy. Thoughts?

Also, it's consistently in the 70s at night here and 80-100 during the day. Would this one be safe to put outside in another week? All of the others will be fully feathered by then I believe, but this one worries me! They're 4 weeks old.
It's probably a cockerel. I'd assume that "Meal Makers" would be filler cockerels? But maybe I'm wrong. I don't like getting surprises. lol Depending on how many hens you have the two males will probably get along fine. My English Orpington males are great with one another. Hatchery birds may not follow the rules though.

It's fine to go outside. If it's cold it'll cuddle with other birds. Orpingtons tend to feather out slower, especially when it is hot.

Update at 6 weeks. This chick is still way behind the others in feathering, but the comb also isn't developing as quickly as the other 2 cockerels. I really want to trade this one for a friend's if it's a she, but she doesn't want it if it's a he.
Looks like a pullet still.

Back
Top Bottom