BCM Hen or Roo?

countrygalut

In the Brooder
Feb 18, 2015
I have 36 chicks that are three and a half weeks old. The Black Copper Marans are the only ones I got as straight run, because that's the only option I had for them. I've been watching them carefully as they grow to determine which might be roos, and I thought I'd ask for some other opinions. One of them I know for sure is a roo, because he developed a large pink comb at only 12 days old, which none of my other roos have developed yet (I bought a Welsummer and Easter Egger roo specifically, so I've been using them to compare to). Anyway, out of my 5 BCM chicks there is the one with the red comb I know to be a roo, and one with a tiny dark comb I'm positive is a hen. Then there's this little guy (or gal?). It's the only one of the BCM's to develop all this copper coloring, so I've started counting it as a roo. But I have also read on other forums that hens can have excess 'mossiness' as a fault, so I'm wondering if maybe this is a little hen? First three pics of the mossy colored chick, next couple are the one I know is a roo from his red comb (forgive his scruffiness, he's starting his ugly teenage stage lol). What are your opinions? Is this a little roo that has yet to develop his comb, or just a flawed hen?
P.S. Since my birds are for my personal enjoyment only, I have no issues if he/she is flawed in markings. I have no intentions to sell chicks, and if I hatch any in the future they will be simply for my own use for eggs and meat.

Are all these photos of the same bird? It just doesn't look quite the same in certain shots
hmm.png
Photo #4 shows comb/wattle growth and color that, at 3 1/2 weeks, would indicate cockerel.

No, as I stated above the first three pics are of the mossy colored chick, the last two are the one I'm positive is a roo because of the comb development. Just for comparison :)

No problem. But yes, that one developed his comb at only 12 days old, so I knew pretty quickly he was a roo. Just not sure on this mossy colored one. And I know BCM's are hard to sex when young, so I'm trying to be patient. But I want to name them! lol

Here he is at the 12 day mark when I realized he must be a roo. None of the other chicks had any comb to speak of yet, so when this one popped up so young I went "Whoa, I've got a little roo on my hands" lol. I plan on keeping a BCM roo, so I'm happy about it. Just hoping I've got a few hens as well.
The mossy one is starting to develop a comb, as well as all the other chicks. I know they can develop at different rates, so not sure if the small comb is an indicator of hen, or if he's just a later blossoming roo...

In my experience BCM hens feather in much faster than the roos. Based on that I'd say your mossy is a girl... Unless, of course, it's really a wheaten marans in which case I'd say it's a roo, as that's exactly what my wheaten marans roos both looked like at that age.

Is there any possibility it's not a BCM?

Last edited:
Well, I didn't order any Wheaten Marans, but I suppose it's possible they made a mistake and ended up with one in the mix. I'm not super concerned, as I only want them for their eggs and not for show or breeding for selling chicks and such. But aren't wheaten marans light colored at hatch? These were all feather footed black chicks when they arrived, with not many differences in their markings at the time. It was only about at two weeks old that I noticed the copper coloring coming into this one's feathers, and I started to think the early coloring meant it was a roo. Honestly, I don't think I would have too much preference either way, because it's a pretty bird no matter it's sex or faulty markings. As far as feathering in faster, this one does seem to have less tail feathers still, like the confirmed roos do, which is another reason I was suspecting roo. I'll update my pictures next week and see how the feathering and combs are progressing.

Back
Top Bottom