Happy Chooks

Free Ranging
Premium Feather Member
14 Years
Jul 9, 2009
Northern CA
My Coop
My Coop
They are 2 1/2 weeks old. I'm thinking girl, boy, boy. Is there any other way to tell with BCM's other than comb growth? All of them have white feathers on their wings, but one is less prominent (the one I think is a girl)

IMG_2429.jpg

IMG_2439.jpg

IMG_2441.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll go with girl, boy boy.....That gal is a tiny one...Was she hatched at the same time???

Thanks for sharing those pics...Love to see the babies!

Quote:
Yes, all 3 are the same age. The Warden hatched them, but I do know she had difficulty with her hatch. We split an order for ameraucana's and she gave them to me along with an olive egger.

ETA: She may just look tiny in the photo, the large back in front of her is a 4 week old ameraucana. I haven't noticed a dramatic size difference when I hold them, but I'll be looking more closely now.
lol.png

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm thinking girl - boy - boy.

Another way that helps to sex the BCM is that the girls will have darker feet than the boys. Lot's darker. In fact, I have a month old BCM pullet with black feet! However neither of my hens have feet as black as hers, but almost.

Last edited:
Just went back to look at the pics. Yes the 1st one's beak is blacker than the other 2.

Cool! I just knew there had to be other "clues". Thanks!
big_smile.png

Quote:
Really? I have 2 with black beaks and 1 with a yellow & gray marked beak they're all roo's.
They all have the same colored feet. hmmmm

Now I'm really confused!

Quote:
Really? I have 2 with black beaks and 1 with a yellow & gray marked beak they're all roo's.
They all have the same colored feet. hmmmm

Now I'm really confused!

Hmmmm........Back to the drawing board.

Guess I'll just have to wait another week and see for sure. I'm positive that the chick in picture #2 is a cockeral. The one with the black comb "appears" to be a female. The 3rd one could go either way, but I suspect cockeral.

Back
Top Bottom