Bday old chick not doing well...help!

mamdoe

Songster
9 Years
Apr 14, 2010
Hi all,
I just picked up 16 day old chicks from post office. All seem to be doing well but one.
One little Brahma is lying on its side shaking, unable to stand. Still chirping loudly and trying to move its legs, but obviously not well.
I have given it water with electrolyte/vitamins and gave it a little honey.
Is there hope? :(

There's always hope. Does it have splayed leg? Does it try to get up, but can't? If so, you can tape the legs so they stay under the chick. I used a bandaid. I used the gauze part in the middle as a way to measure the separation between the legs. Then, I set the chick up and it did well. Its now 3 weeks old and looks like its is trying to fly. Runs and jumps with the others.

Oh. Wait. I see they are about 2 weeks old. Sorry. I thought they were day old. My fault. Idunno, then. It ought to be up and running around. I'd check with whoever sent them to me.

There's always hope. Does it have splayed leg? Does it try to get up, but can't? If so, you can tape the legs so they stay under the chick. I used a bandaid. I used the gauze part in the middle as a way to measure the separation between the legs. Then, I set the chick up and it did well. Its now 3 weeks old and looks like its is trying to fly. Runs and jumps with the others.

Wow. So maybe that is wrong with my little one. I just noticed last night that a vein or something from the egg was wrapped around its leg and it couldn't stand and its feet seem splayed. It is trying mightily to stand but can't seem to get it done.

I'll try the band-aid thing. It is only 3 days old and drinks the water and eats the food I give it (since it can't seem waddle over to the bowls). It just can't seem to walk yet.

Thanks so much!

Thanks for trying to help. The little chick passed shortly after posting.
I'm quiet certain that it was not splayed leg, as it was also shaking. It would appear that it had been trampled on during shipping as it had a green tint to its fluff from the bedding in the box.

Thanks for trying to help. The little chick passed shortly after posting.
I'm quiet certain that it was not splayed leg, as it was also shaking. It would appear that it had been trampled on during shipping as it had a green tint to its fluff from the bedding in the box.

Awww...I am so sorry. How could someone crush a box that is supposed to be marked with Live Animal(s)? :-(

I had one little chick to get trampled by the other chicks when I had them in last week during the tornadoes around here. I felt REALLY bad.

Wow. So maybe that is wrong with my little one. I just noticed last night that a vein or something from the egg was wrapped around its leg and it couldn't stand and its feet seem splayed. It is trying mightily to stand but can't seem to get it done.

I'll try the band-aid thing. It is only 3 days old and drinks the water and eats the food I give it (since it can't seem waddle over to the bowls). It just can't seem to walk yet.

Thanks so much!
It worked for this one. I had one last year that did the same thing and it died. I didn't know what to do for it. I found someone put that fix on here, so I tried it when I had this chick. It runs and tries to fly now. I call her PT, because she had Physical Therapy.

Back
Top Bottom