Beak a little out of alignment

2FunKids

In the Brooder
Nov 5, 2015
Hi, I took delivery of 15 chicks and one of them has a beak a little different than the rest. The bottom of its beak is not in alignment with the top. It's just a little bit like a thirty second of an inch off. It just so happens that it is one of the two rare breeds I paid a premium for. What should I do? Should I call the hatchery? Will it b ok?

Free Spirit

The Chiarian
Oct 21, 2015
NWA
Here is some information on scissor beak (aka cross-beak).
http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/03/scissor-beak-aka-crossed-beak-what-it.html

Depending on how prominent it is or grows out to be he/she will need little or some extra care but otherwise not a problem for the birds generally.

What you do regarding the hatchery I honestly don't know how to advise. But since you paid premium I would call them and see if they can make a financial arrangement to your liking. It's not fair to pay premium for a defective bird that you may not be able to breed if it is a genetic defect. Not to mention any extra care she may need at your expense.

Last edited:

2FunKids

In the Brooder
Nov 5, 2015
Here is some information on scissor beak (aka cross-beak).
http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/03/scissor-beak-aka-crossed-beak-what-it.html

Depending on how prominent it is or grows out to be he/she will need little or some extra care but otherwise not a problem for the birds generally.

What you do regarding the hatchery I honestly don't know how to advise. But since you paid premium I would call them and see if they can make a financial arrangement to your liking. It's not fair to pay premium for a defective bird that you may not be able to breed if it is a genetic defect. Not to mention any extra care she may need at your expense.

Thanks and actually after looking at chic pictures I think it was an Easter egger. I will call them and see How they will make it right.

Free Spirit

The Chiarian
Oct 21, 2015
NWA
thumbsup.gif

Top Bottom