Beak and comb turning black/grey!! Pics!!

tortega18

Chirping
Feb 21, 2016
Florida
When our hen first got here she had a cold. It was treated and now she's all better. But when she had the cold she had a very stuffy nose so I tried everything to un block her nostrils. My last resort was peroxide to help loosen the boogies. That helped and she healed a couple days later. So in week two I noticed she had black spots on her comb. From comments on here to google, I realized they were bruises. She is on the bottom of the pecking order. But now I'm looking and her beak and comb is losing its color. The beak is turning almost all grey and the comb is turning black grey as well. Did I damage the beak from the peroxide? I know the comb could potentially be heart issues but I'm looking for other possibilities. Thanks!

Peroxide burns even healthy tissue- it doesn't belong in noses. It looks more to me like that darker coloring is what the breed of chicken is meant to have.

It's possible that that's the natural color for her comb, but I have black hens (Australorps) with perfect red combs. I just wanted to share this with you: I have a Buff Orpington rooster whose comb was also turning black, much worse than your hen. I read all the posts I could find about this problem, and there were 3 main reasons that were mentioned: frostbite, heart or lung problems, and stress.

This guy was just recovering from a tough winter and frostbite, but the black parts had already fallen off, so it wasn't that. He seemed otherwise healthy, but the whole comb was turning dark grey to black with barely any red showing through. The only thing out of the ordinary was that one of the young roosters born last year was getting older and chasing the big guy (his father!) away from food and his girls. We had noticed this happening to some extent, but paying closer attention made us realize how bad it was.

We sold the young bad boy roo and Big Daddy Roo recovered almost immediately. It took maybe a week for his comb to turn fully red again.

If your lady is at the bottom of the pecking order, stress could be her problem as well. I am no expert on these things, but maybe if you separate her from the rest just for a week or so, and give her some special love and attention, see if she improves. If so, at least you know what the problem is. But I'm not sure what you could do to solve the problem long-term.

Best of luck with your lady!

Hello! I have 3 pullets who are showing black on their combs exactly as in your photo. I know it’s been a while but could you tell me how it ended up? Thanks in advance - I’m hoping it’s not an illness.
Unfortunately, the OP hasn't been on the site in over 5 years. I'm afraid we'll never know what happened to the hen.

Back
Top Bottom