Beak Injury

Lemonade

Chirping
Aug 20, 2022
Last night, a raccoon attempted to grab my ducks through the chicken wire and ended up breaking off the tip of one of their beaks. I didn’t find out what had happened until I came back from school and by then, the bleeding had stopped. I could tell that her beak was still sensitive, as she was preening very carefully and not foraging around the yard like usual. I didn’t see any maggots on her beak, but I will attach a picture. Is there anything I can do to help her pain/keep infections away and will the beak regrow?
71969351-0BC4-4CA6-A5E3-26F64282E55E.jpeg
3F43A403-6C2A-4B24-BDD1-EBCA13E30B64.jpeg

Put some ACV with mother into her drinking water it can help kill certain bacteria and aid in healing 1-2 Tab to a gallon of water.

And please wrap hardware cloth around that chicken wire to keep this from happening again. I've seen on here where coons have literally torn apart ducks trying to get them through chicken wire.

Put some ACV with mother into her drinking water it can help kill certain bacteria and aid in healing 1-2 Tab to a gallon of water.

And please wrap hardware cloth around that chicken wire to keep this from happening again. I've seen on here where coons have literally torn apart ducks trying to get them through chicken wire.
Thank you! We covered that chicken wire with a wooden board, but tonight they will be moved into the garage. Also, I know AVC is apple cider vinegar but could you clarify what mother is?

Also, I know AVC is apple cider vinegar but could you clarify what mother is?

You are maybe familiar with clear apple cider vinegar. Apple cider vinegar with mother is a little different and will be clearly labeled. Mother is a pulp like substance that will settle down in the bottom inch or so of the bottle. You shake up the apple cider vinegar with mother before you use it. Some say apple cider vinegar with mother is better for you.

I think of apple cider vinegar with mother like orange juice with pulp. I prefer the orange juice with pulp, but you need to shake it up before you drink it.

Here is a picture of apple cider vinegar with mother, well shaken and mixed....

1670339650511.png

Here is a picture of apple cider vinegar with mother as it typically looks like on the shelf. Notice the top of the bottle is very clear, but all the "mother" has settled down on the bottom. You would want to shake up that bottle before using it.

1670339711306.png

FWIW, I buy our apple cider vinegar at our local Dollar Tree (Plus). I don't know how much it costs in a supermarket, but I prefer just to get in and out of the Dollar Tree for small stuff like this.

You are maybe familiar with clear apple cider vinegar. Apple cider vinegar with mother is a little different and will be clearly labeled. Mother is a pulp like substance that will settle down in the bottom inch or so of the bottle. You shake up the apple cider vinegar with mother before you use it. Some say apple cider vinegar with mother is better for you.

I think of apple cider vinegar with mother like orange juice with pulp. I prefer the orange juice with pulp, but you need to shake it up before you drink it.

Here is a picture of apple cider vinegar with mother, well shaken and mixed....

View attachment 3342225
Here is a picture of apple cider vinegar with mother as it typically looks like on the shelf. Notice the top of the bottle is very clear, but all the "mother" has settled down on the bottom. You would want to shake up that bottle before using it.

View attachment 3342226

FWIW, I buy our apple cider vinegar at our local Dollar Tree (Plus). I don't know how much it costs in a supermarket, but I prefer just to get in and out of the Dollar Tree for small stuff like this.
Thank you for the clarification!

Back
Top Bottom